HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Not sponsored

Another WR or FX thread

9 posts in this topic

Now that Yamaha is getting serious about the off road machines I'm looking to switch back from orange to blue. Late 40's fairly fast b rider, race harescramble's Jday's and enduro's, a street plate is needed for the enduro's. My question is does it make more sense to get the fx and outfit it with what it needs to be street legal or convert the wr to a race bike as its all ready street legal. Does any one know if wr lights would plug in to the fx's wiring harness? I should mention that I live in a state where a bike doesn't need to be "green stickered" to get plated, you do have to jump through a couple hoops though.

The WR lights won't be a plug and play affair on the YZFX.

If you get an FX put lighting kit on it and jump through the required hoops.

If you get the WR you will need the competition ECU, muffler and suspension tweaking(maybe).

If you can find a 2nd hand yz muffler the $$$ you spend to be race ready will be about the same.

The WR lights won't be a plug and play affair on the YZFX.

If you get an FX put lighting kit on it and jump through the required hoops.

If you get the WR you will need the competition ECU, muffler and suspension tweaking(maybe).

If you can find a 2nd hand yz muffler the $$$ you spend to be race ready will be about the same.

Unless he needs a spark arrester that is...

Unless he needs a spark arrester that is...

The FX doesn't have a spark arrester, the wr muffler is restrictive. If he needs one the cost will be the same regardless of the bike he chooses.

No spark arrester needed, I don't really need the spedo/computer but it would be nice to have. If if the motors are identical and they make a comp ecu than I could strip off other items to get the weight close. Is the ecu made for the wr? I think I read a review where the ecu from a yz250f was used in a wr250, apparently it ripped but the lights and e-start didn't work.

That article you read was written by people with no clue. They used a yz250f ECU and somehow expected it to have the same functionality. There is a WR competition ECU available in the USA.

The "competition" ECU is standard fitment on bikes for the rest of the world.

It would be almost identical the only difference in weight would be the wiring loom and radiator fan.

I went yz250fx over wr250f because of the firmer suspension set up and not having to fork out for free flowing exhaust. The FX is also over $500 cheaper down here and but local WR's come with crappy DOT tires and competition ECU standard.

They are essentially the same bike. If your the kind of person that really personalises your bike the cost differences between either is quite small, especially when you consider how much you have saved by not buying an orange bike.

The WR will probably have a better resale down the road if you don't cut the wiring/speedo loom out.

I'm getting the 450fx and currently selling my 13 wr450 I was going to get the wr450 but decided I didn't need the additional weight and already have a trailtech voyager, so the computer which is inaccurate anyway was not needed.

The parts catalog says my fmf exhaust from my 2013 is the same part for the fx so hopefully I can reuse that. I plan to add the radiator fan and that's it

I'm getting the 450fx and currently selling my 13 wr450 I was going to get the wr450 but decided I didn't need the additional weight and already have a trailtech voyager, so the computer which is inaccurate anyway was not needed.

The parts catalog says my fmf exhaust from my 2013 is the same part for the fx so hopefully I can reuse that. I plan to add the radiator fan and that's it

You might mean the slip on exhaust from the back. Because the YZ pipes are a u turn in the front.

I found a great deal on a Pro Circuit Ti 6 YZ450 pipe and bought it in anticipation of buying a new WR450.

You might mean the slip on exhaust from the back. Because the YZ pipes are a u turn in the front.

I found a great deal on a Pro Circuit Ti 6 YZ450 pipe and bought it in anticipation of buying a new WR450.

Correct the slip on is the same, I suspect the headers terminate in the same location which makes them compatible