HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spartan426

02 yz426 cam chain guide

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I had a leak for my cams on the cylinder head, those darn things are tough to seal properly. Anyway I took off my cylinder head cap so I could re-seal it and the small cam chain guide fell off and almost into the engine, when Pulling the cap off.

I was wondering how this guide is attached to the cylinder cap? Is it just a snug fit? Pressing it back onto the cover it comes off pretty easily though it will hold its self upside down

I wanted to ask since I just got done with a rebuild not long ago and I seriously don't want this thing dropping into the cams while the bike is running, though I'm not sure if there is constant pressure from the chain to this guide that would hold it in place?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Is there a special glue that secures this in place or do I just need a new one?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359659.396651.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359688.430225.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359707.050412.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1448359722.351307.jpg

Originally it just snaps in.  If yours is loose, it's probably shrunk/hardened.  The best course is to replace it.  Look closely at the two pegs it sits on to see if they've been beat up by having the guide shuffle around on them.  It's more or less trapped in place, but if it gets to wiggling on its pins, it could eventually wear them off and go wandering around the cam chain while it's running. 

1 person likes this