Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

Hey MidlifeCrisisGuy. I'm not sure what you would be gaining if you already have a trick WR. I had a 2013 WR450 that was a great bike but after it spit me off very unpredictably in Baja I never regained confidence in it so I sold it and bought the light and agile YZ250FX. So you could more easily compare the YZ450FX to the 250FX and that would be more apples to apples. I don't have any time per se on the 450FX but first impressions are that is is very stable, very agile (for a 450F), and very fast. I'm swapping some parts of the 250FX right now and once I get more seat time on the 450FX (when I can ride it hard enough to better test it) I will post my thoughts. It would be more comparable to a YZ than to a 2012-2015 WR in that it has the reversed head, rear slanted motor, etc....

Edited by cubera

Basically one of the things it comes down to is the intake design/reverse cylinder , as mentioned your WR has been tricked out. Is that enough to upgrade?

Hey MidlifeCrisisGuy. I'm not sure what you would be gaining if you already have a trick WR. I had a 2013 WR450 that was a great bike but after it spit me off very unpredictably in Baja I never regained confidence in it so I sold it and bought the light and agile YZ250FX. So you could more easily compare the YZ450FX to the 250FX and that would be more apples to apples. I don't have any time per se on the 450FX but first impressions are that is is very stable, very agile (for a 450F), and very fast. I'm swapping some parts of the 250FX right now and once I get more seat time on the 450FX (when I can ride it hard enough to better test it) I will post my thoughts. It would be more comparable to a YZ than to a 2012-2015 WR in that it has the reversed head, rear slanted motor, etc....

I await your comments.   If the 450FX is more comparable to the 250FX, then compare it to that.  Thanks for the reply.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

Basically one of the things it comes down to is the intake design/reverse cylinder , as mentioned your WR has been tricked out. Is that enough to upgrade?

Not sure, thus the question.  

My WR isn't perfect.  I think the fork could be a lot better.   It feels heavier than the 250FX, in spite of being about the same weight.  If the 450FX has electric start, better suspension and feels lighter than my WR, I want one.  I suspect I'll need to ride one myself to know for sure.  But it never hurts to ask.

Anyone know where I can get the mating connector that plugs into the main harness where an aux radiator fan would go? Want to wire in a trail tech and would rather not splice the main harness.

Thanks!

Maybe OEM Yamaha parts? I don't know if you can get only the connector. I have the OEM complete fan and it's prefect

Anyone know where I can get the mating connector that plugs into the main harness where an aux radiator fan would go? Want to wire in a trail tech and would rather not splice the main harness.

Thanks!

Since Yamaha makes a very reasonably priced bolt on fan for the Fx why wouldn't one be smart and use a stock part.

I do like the fan idea, just really don't need it at the moment. It is very reasonably priced. But if I'm just using it for the connector that's a little rough.

I do like the fan idea, just really don't need it at the moment. It is very reasonably priced. But if I'm just using it for the connector that's a little rough.

Are you wanting to use the connector to wire in a trail tech light or a trail tech fan? Trail Tech makes both...

Edited by keeseckb

Sorry, forgot to clarify. Wanting to wire in a trail tech computer (Endurance 2).

Sorry, forgot to clarify. Wanting to wire in a trail tech computer (Endurance 2).

I have an enduro 2 on my FX, I just route the wire through the frame to the battery. Can't even tell.

I have an enduro 2 on my FX, I just route the wire through the frame to the battery. Can't even tell.

I ended up routing it directly to the battery just as you mentioned.

When I probed the radiator fan plug I didn't get any voltage.  It's likely there is a relay or thermistor that controls the output to that connector to regulate the fan.  I was hoping that the regulation would happen on the fan itself but it doesn't look like that's the case.  Just FYI.

I ended up routing it directly to the battery just as you mentioned.

When I probed the radiator fan plug I didn't get any voltage.  It's likely there is a relay or thermistor that controls the output to that connector to regulate the fan.  I was hoping that the regulation would happen on the fan itself but it doesn't look like that's the case.  Just FYI.

You should put a inline fuse on it.

It is a thermostatically controlled fan so it would only get power when the bike gets too hot. 

This may belong in the suspension forum, but thought I'd ask some fellow 450FX owners... I'm 6'3" 260 lbs. Running a 6.3 shock spring and 5.2 fork springs with stock valving. I'm in Missouri which has tight, rocky, rooty single track. Since my springs are a lot stiffer than stock, what would y'all suggest as good clicker starting points? I'm pretty happy with it now, but want to experiment a little with a new suggested baseline, then adjust from there. The forks work great when I hit a single rock, but when I hit multiple rocks, they feel harsher, even if the rocks are the same size. Also, when in mid corner and exiting the corner, if I hit rocks, the front end becomes upset and almost wants to washout if I don't stab my foot. The tire will basically want to "hop" to the outside of the corner.

As for the shock, it feels pretty good as well but similar to the fork, it's not as plush when hitting multiple rocks. It also wants to kick straight up pretty good when hitting a log.

Also, what sag do you recommend? I think my spring may be a bit light as I'm at 110/26 although it feels pretty darn good in the corners and overall balance. I do have to put more weight then normal on the front when climbing hills or it'll want to somewhat loop out unless I feather the clutch.

I would try loosening up the rebound a little so the fork can recover from rock 1 a little quicker and be further extended when it hits rock 2.  This should also address your tendency to skip out on exit.

The shock will be a little trickier because it's probably too weak on the rebound to start with.  It's a sort of a KYB tradition, apparently, but every YZ I've done suspension work on has benefited by beefing up the rebound stack by a considerable amount.  The kick when hitting significant obstacles with the rear needs more rebound damping.  For the multi-rock harshness complaint, back the high speed compression nearly all the way out as a starting point.

You should put a inline fuse on it.

It is a thermostatically controlled fan so it would only get power when the bike gets too hot.

I'm looking to put the fan on mine, I've looked online at the radiator parts diagrams for the wr and in the picture there are no wires on the fan. My question is if I order the fan does it have the wire to plug in to the harness on it or is it a separate part? If it is separate does anyone know what the part number is? I can't seem to find anything labeled as fan harness.

I'm looking to put the fan on mine, I've looked online at the radiator parts diagrams for the wr and in the picture there are no wires on the fan. My question is if I order the fan does it have the wire to plug in to the harness on it or is it a separate part? If it is separate does anyone know what the part number is? I can't seem to find anything labeled as fan harness.

The fan has the wires on them on the WR so it would be the same on the fx fan. You will have a pig tail of wires with a blank plug in it on the fan side.

The fan has the wires on them on the WR so it would be the same on the fx fan. You will have a pig tail of wires with a blank plug in it on the fan side.

Awsome, thanks.

I just ordered the GYTR fan as we go through some really tight off the trail kind of stuff and I already had a boil over. Do I need a switch or is it tied into the ECU and kicks on when needed?

I just ordered the GYTR fan as we go through some really tight off the trail kind of stuff and I already had a boil over. Do I need a switch or is it tied into the ECU and kicks on when needed?

Thermostatically controlled. Then shuts off in about a minute after you shut the bike off.