Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

i think it starts better then my WR but truth be told my dealer makes a modification to them when new to make them start a lot better.. i didn't push the bike hard for several reasons..

1 it is brand new.

2. i hate riding track where i always end up getting hurt

3. in august, as much as a shocker this was to me at age 45 and not unhealthy at all i ended up with a 95% blockage in my coronary artery! ended up getting a stent. doctor says he absolutely against me riding bikes. i am on several blood thinners and anti coagulant meds so getting a boo, boo is totally out of the question for me especially riding alone!

so needless to say i was being careful..

personally i generally never push the limits of my bike even before my health issues. i don't evaluate the limits of any bikes i have ridden mostly because i hate getting hurt. dont get me wrong i am a solid B rider and ride with some experienced guys, but i hate needles and hospitals more then i enjoy pushing the limits. so unfortunately i cannot tell you where the limits of the bike are because truth be told i avoid washing out the front end. never had any spills on the wr due to high speed turns and didn't experience any unsettling of the FX either.

ive ridden 3 seasons without so much as a fall and on some mostly nasty rocky trails. i am more of a technical rider i think.

This is exactly how I ride. I ride really hard up hill and flat.... But the times that I have crashed, it was down hill every time. I always take a lot more time going down hill in the steep Rocky areas. And really all down hill not worth it to me... How do you find the gearing, would you ever consider going to a 51 or 52? I put a 51 on my WR and really liked it.

This is exactly how I ride. I ride really hard up hill and flat.... But the times that I have crashed, it was down hill every time. I always take a lot more time going down hill in the steep Rocky areas. And really all down hill not worth it to me... How do you find the gearing, would you ever consider going to a 51 or 52? I put a 51 on my WR and really liked it.

Personally I think the gearing is perfect if you want it any lower you might try a reckluse first before you change anything else

I would much rather buy a cheap sprocket than invest several hundred for a clutch..

When it comes to "trying things"

Has anyone mounted a headlight on the fx yet? I want to do an easy on easy off setup for track vs trail riding. Anyone else prefer the black wheels that come on the yz?

Baja Designs Squadron Pro. Straps on and off of the fork tubes in seconds and has a quick connect to the wiring harness.

I just leave it on for track days so people know I'm a goon from a mile away. Also I'm lazy. Also adds to the confusion when they get passed in corners.

1451843481716.jpg

Also adds to the confusion when they get passed in corners.

The ultimate is when you run up on someone and sound the horn at them.  The reactions you can get that way are a crackup.

I really want to get a bell or an air horn for exactly that reason.

I would much rather buy a cheap sprocket than invest several hundred for a clutch..

When it comes to "trying things"

I guess my point was that there is no need to gear down, the only time you might need a lower gear is during somewhat of a crawl and an auto clutch is perfect for that. A larger gear will move all your ratios lower and you'll give up top speed for it

Has anyone mounted a headlight on the fx yet? I want to do an easy on easy off setup for track vs trail riding. Anyone else prefer the black wheels that come on the yz?

This. Much needed black wheels. Prolly dont make in an 18" rear though?

Edited by mobgma

I put a 14t on the front for out here.

I'm with Bass I don't see a placer where I'd want to lower the stock gearing

Nice review, keep them coming. I'm trying to decide between 450FX and WR450.

Same here.

Baja Designs Squadron Pro. Straps on and off of the fork tubes in seconds and has a quick connect to the wiring harness.

I just leave it on for track days so people know I'm a goon from a mile away. Also I'm lazy. Also adds to the confusion when they get passed in corners.

I like the stock look. I have a BD Squadron XL coming to fill in the shell...

20150509_091341_zpsui1idxwq.jpg

I rode some tight slow rocky stuff today, while the fx wasn't "bad" my 300 is way easier to ride in the stuff, mostly when you make a mistake the 300 is easier to correct. The fx has so much power right off idle it is hard to control in the slippery, snow covered rocks we were riding today. I'm going to play with some mapping to try to mellow it out just off of idle.

I haven't ridden a 450FX yet, but a lot of 2 stroke riders say this about the big 4 strokes.  It takes a while to get used to them and you have to use the clutch and the throttle to modulate things at low speed. Once you get the hang of that, the big 4 strokes are &%$#@! cats in the slime and just as easy or easier to ride than a 2 stroke in those conditions.

I really want to get a bell or an air horn for exactly that reason.

Bell...Classic  :thumbsup:

I guess my point was that there is no need to gear down, the only time you might need a lower gear is during somewhat of a crawl and an auto clutch is perfect for that. A larger gear will move all your ratios lower and you'll give up top speed for it

This is the point that most people miss.  Lowering the gearing moves the whole ratio set numerically closer together, which forces more frequent shifting, will cause the bike to be prone to lurching forward as the throttle is opened in low, and it reduces the top speed in each gear lots more than it lowers the minimum speed in low.  The gearing that would let you ride one MPH slower with the clutch out will take about 10 MPH away on top.  

It's also significant that the low gear in the FX is about 15% lower than that of the YZ, so it's likely you won't feel the need to "fix" that. 

Bell...Classic :thumbsup:

This is the point that most people miss. Lowering the gearing moves the whole ratio set numerically closer together, which forces more frequent shifting, will cause the bike to be prone to lurching forward as the throttle is opened in low, and it reduces the top speed in each gear lots more than it lowers the minimum speed in low. The gearing that would let you ride one MPH slower with the clutch out will take about 10 MPH away on top.

It's also significant that the low gear in the FX is about 15% lower than that of the YZ, so it's likely you won't feel the need to "fix" that.

Would you have any idea what the first gear from a FX and a WR would be? Would the FX be lower or the same?

Would you have any idea what the first gear from a FX and a WR would be? Would the FX be lower or the same?

All the big WRs from the 400F to present have had a 2.417 1st gear. The 450FX is the same.

I haven't ridden a 450FX yet, but a lot of 2 stroke riders say this about the big 4 strokes. It takes a while to get used to them and you have to use the clutch and the throttle to modulate things at low speed. Once you get the hang of that, the big 4 strokes are &%$#@! cats in the slime and just as easy or easier to ride than a 2 stroke in those conditions.

I'd have to disagree with you here. If 450's excelled in this type of riding the hard Enduro series would see more 4 strokes on the podium.

Second, I was switching bikes with a buddy, he rides "a" class hare and hound stuff on a '15 yz 450. The way he had his bike set up made the tight rock stuff much easier than the nearly stock fx.

Like I said the fx wasn't bad, but if that type of riding is what you primarily do, you'll have to spend some time tweaking the fx, and even then there are better tools out there.

All the big WRs from the 400F to present have had a 2.417 1st gear. The 450FX is the same.

That's correct.  The YZ, on the other hand, runs a 1.929:1 low gear.

I'd have to disagree with you here. If 450's excelled in this type of riding the hard Enduro series would see more 4 strokes on the podium.

Second, I was switching bikes with a buddy, he rides "a" class hare and hound stuff on a '15 yz 450. The way he had his bike set up made the tight rock stuff much easier than the nearly stock fx.

Like I said the fx wasn't bad, but if that type of riding is what you primarily do, you'll have to spend some time tweaking the fx, and even then there are better tools out there.

He talks about slime, you mention tight, rocky stuff. Could be 2 totally different types of terrain. In the CA desert, the tight, rocky stuff is, as you say, much easier to handle on the light and nimble 2T's. The CA desert is littered with canyons strewn with boulders and waterfalls that require one to manhandle the bike. Much easier on the 2T's. Now, once in the open desert, the 4T is nice and planted.

This is pretty cool. Their website says you have to have the stator rewound in order to use it. Did you find that to be true?