Metal found in oil strainer 2014 YZ450f

Hey I was wondering if anyone has found and pieces of metal like these in their oil strainer? The bike only has 16 hrs on it and have done oil changes every 5 hrs after proper break in .... Any ideas ?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447472203.787611.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447472256.087801.jpg

Had those, no big deal... If they get bigger and more, then I would worry...

Totally normal

Well it's not normal for an engine to have metal going threw in it and the oil was also very glittery as well as the filter . I could see it on my first maybe second oil change but this is my 4th.

Then take it in and pay 100 an hour for a shop to rear it apart if you want, I've got 60 hours on my 15 and always see a few in the oil

Well it's not normal for an engine to have metal going threw in it and the oil was also very glittery as well as the filter . I could see it on my first maybe second oil change but this is my 4th.

What color glitter?  Silver is going to be clutch material.  Gold is the worrisome one.

Edited by BeeVictim

Filter had a little of both more silver than gold but those pieces of metal are what concern me.

I can't see those pieces being clutch though unless I have something failing right or wrong ?

Then take it in and pay 100 an hour for a shop to rear it apart if you want, I've got 60 hours on my 15 and always see a few in the oil

+1

15thumper you sound like a very knowledgeable mechanic Glad to see another guy who runs their bike till it blows other than doing Preventative maintenance. As being a mechanic for 8 years and working in an engine shop for 2 of those I know for a fact metal like this is a sign of wear of something , The hole reason for this post was to find out where to start looking and where guys have been finding this kind of metal is coming from so I can look into it further . But you have fun banging on er till she blows bud !

Will do, that's why I buy YAMAHA

Will do, that's why I buy YAMAHA

Lol, I guess I shouldn't mention the 150hrs on my 15 then...And yes, that's why I buy a Yamaha also...

The metal bits are casting imperfections on the gears. As the gears wear and set, those small imperfections get worn off. Like I said, quite normal and I've seen them well into 60hrs on bikes if not more. But if they get bigger (like gear teeth breaking off) or copper color indicating bearings, then I wouldn't hesitate to open the motor up.

A common fix for this and improved durability and shifting is to coat, cryo or tumble the gears. Virtually every factory bike does this procedure but for the other 99% of us it isn't worth it.

And for the record OP, you asked us for advice and opinions. Being more open to understanding and taking the time to learn these things will only improve your skill in the long run.

TT is a honey pot of knowledgeable people who, though might not have a piece of paper saying they are a mechanic, might have more experience/knowledge/understanding and know how then even the most experienced mechanics.

Maybe thumper15 isn't a top tier technician, but I am. The oil has what might be considered an abnormal amount of metal in it if it were only an engine, but it isn't. There's a transmission at work in the same oil supply along with a clutch, and both those components shed metal like an 18 year-old stripper.

It's also worthwhile noting that those chips haven't "gone through" anything.  That's the pickup strainer, so that stuff never even made it to the oil pump.  If it had, the next stop would have been the filter, before it went anywhere else.  If they're magnetic, they're likely steel from the gears.  If not, those are typicall of clutch junk.

That's also why I always service the filter with every oil change. You will find several longish, sliver-like chips of aluminum (clutch), and much smaller chips of steel (gear shed) in the filter as a normal thing. What you have to be on the alert for is a sudden increase in the size or amount of the metal in a normal oil change interval.

325 hours on mine, BTW.

Maybe thumper15 isn't a top tier technician, but I am. The oil has what might be considered an abnormal amount of metal in it if it were only an engine, but it isn't. There's a transmission at work in the same oil supply along with a clutch, and both those components shed metal like an 18 year-old stripper.

That's also why I always service the filter with every oil change. You will find several longish, sliver-like chips of aluminum (clutch), and much smaller chips of steel (gear shed) in the filter as a normal thing. What you have to be on the alert for is a sudden increase in the size or amount of the metal in a normal oil change interval.

325 hours on mine, BTW.

wait a minute, I am not a top level technician? ?

Might be, might not. I don't recall you ever said. But I wasn't the one who inferred otherwise (post #10)

Stupid question, but what years had the oil strainer on the motor.  I don't remember anywhere on my 11 it mentioning a strainer in the oil change procedure.  Did I miss something?  

Didn't miss a thing.  The removable sump strainer came in with the '14 model when the bike was changed from a dry sump to a wet sump oiling system.

Stupid question, but what years had the oil strainer on the motor. I don't remember anywhere on my 11 it mentioning a strainer in the oil change procedure. Did I miss something?

2014 was the first year.