HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yz400fthrashr

5th gear stuffed 1999 yz400f

12 posts in this topic

Runs fine in all gears but when you click it into fifth its like it neutralises,guessing the 5th gear pinion is stripped,any ideas?

And how much would it cost to get fixed and will it affect the motor when its ridden or will it be okay till it's fixed?

Sounds like it may be the slider for 5th gear.

You may want to take a look at the shifter mechanism behind the side cover first, but you will likely be splitting the case.

For more exposure, post this in the relevant Yamaha forum too.

If it's a 4-stroke, and the transmission and engine share the same oil, it could do some engine damage if there is schrapnel floating around in there from the 5th gear failure.

Thanks mate,when i gave it an oil change couldnt see any shrapnel in the oil,there was a small amount in the oil filter which i changed and did a full oil change,yes its a 4 stroke

It runs fine so it musn't of done any or much damage hey

Cheers mate

Your filter may very well catch any debris that may be floating around in there, but not sure if I would want to risk it.

I know the urge to ride is strong, but I wouldn't want to replace the crank too.

Yeah thats true hey wouldnt want that happening thats for sure,would you have any idea how much it would cost to fix man

A 5th gear, a slider and gaskets are probably not that expensive, but it will be time consuming to split the case.

Look on TT's parts catalog page, and get some prices.

A 5th gear, a slider and gaskets are probably not that expensive, but it will be time consuming to split the case.

Look on TT's parts catalog page, and get some prices.

Have any idea how much it would cost in parts and labour at a shop? Can do the basics but not experienced enough for doing that i don't think

Have any idea how much it would cost in parts and labour at a shop? Can do the basics but not experienced enough for doing that i don't think

I do all of my own work, so not sure what it would cost.

I'll talk to a friend of mine who has an Mx shop, and get an ideal.

I'll post the info this evening.

Spoke with local indendepend Mx shop.

To pull the motor, split the case, replace 5th gear as needed, reassemble, and install motor, labor only is $550.00

Add in parts and the possibility of finding more issues, it could be costly.

You may consider finding another bike to ride, and use this one to learn on.