HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coastlinecascott

Just got a 2008 yz450f

30 posts in this topic

My first 4 stroke. From your recommendation i ordered a new cam chain and manual tensioner. I cleaning the throttle house and ordered a new air filter. It has a screen filter housing. Looks stock. He has a drd pipe and other stuff. Starts up first kick sounds good. Havent taken it out yet. Need a tall seat, suspension springs for my wieght. All ordered. What else should i change? Before taking it to the track

Just changed the oil and filter. Added one quart of castro rs 4t. I have not started it yet. However odd the oil barely registers on the dip stick. Like the very tip. It only suppose to hold one quart. Im lost

You didn't put the oil where the dip stick is.  The dip stick is in the oil "tank", the storage reservoir in the front of the crankcase.  The oil fill is in the crankcase sump.  After it's been run for a minute, the oil will almost all be in the front, under the stick.  Also, with a filter change it takes a Liter of oil, without changing the filter it takes a quart.

Read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/756844-oil-change-procedure-for-06-09-model-yz450s/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/469951-oil-change-confusion-and-four-stroke-top-end-noise/#entry4319538

I put the oil in the oil filler hole not in the dipstick hole. Do i add oil in any other area or does the oil level change after running the motor.

I put the oil in the oil filler hole not in the dipstick hole. Do i add oil in any other area or does the oil level change after running the motor.

Read his post again

Edited by KRANNIE

Has the most efficient map for the 2006-2009 motor. Provides a better initial hit and longer pull. Usually Yamaha makes the first year of any style change very aggressive. Then they take feedback and mellow it after that. 2006 was the first year if the aluminum frame Yami's so they made it aggressive. Same goes for the 2003 first year 450 bike/motor. It was a 4 speed BEAST! It got mellowed in 2004.

Has the most efficient map for the 2006-2009 motor. Provides a better initial hit and longer pull. Usually Yamaha makes the first year of any style change very aggressive. Then they take feedback and mellow it after that. 2006 was the first year if the aluminum frame Yami's so they made it aggressive. Same goes for the 2003 first year 450 bike/motor. It was a 4 speed BEAST! It got mellowed in 2004.

Kind of. The '06 has a strong bottom end with a very linear pull all the way to the top like you mention, but for sheer aggression the '08 has a stronger (almost violent) top end. The '08 doesn't make as much down low however. The '06 has a much better power curve for offroading.

That said, the '08 motor is great for offroading also, just different.

Pm me a price for the cdi.

Your profile won't let me send a private message for some reason. See if you can PM me and I will reply to it. 

Kind of. The '06 has a strong bottom end with a very linear pull all the way to the top like you mention, but for sheer aggression the '08 has a stronger (almost violent) top end. The '08 doesn't make as much down low however. The '06 has a much better power curve for offroading.

That said, the '08 motor is great for offroading also, just different.

Sounds better when you say it…

I don't disagree with you at all. However, I think aggression is more readily felt coming from the bottom end. That's why the 06' gives that impression. I love everything about the power curve of my bike. I finally put a weighted flywheel in last year and love it even more!

Edited by writebrian
1 person likes this

In fact, the '08 and '09, although they share the same high RPM biased camshaft set, and the same extraordinarily lame stock exhaust system, have two distinct CDI's with different maps.  The '09 has a much stronger low & mid range than the '08, and the same power up top without the more sudden transition that evokes the "aggressive top end" comments. 

Ditch the cute little "shorty" muffler if it still has it, along with the oversized header, and add either the '06 or '09 CDI.

In fact, the '08 and '09, although they share the same high RPM biased camshaft set, and the same extraordinarily lame stock exhaust system, have two distinct CDI's with different maps.  The '09 has a much stronger low & mid range than the '08, and the same power up top without the more sudden transition that evokes the "aggressive top end" comments. 

Ditch the cute little "shorty" muffler if it still has it, along with the oversized header, and add either the '06 or '09 CDI.

Gray... what exhaust system do you recommend ?

WriteBrain.... Pms aren't working on my end either!

I use a DRD stainless with the spark arrestor built in.  The choice is based on my perception of overall value, not necessarily the most power. You can spend a ridiculous amount of money on a pipe, and I'm not inclined toward that.

1 person likes this

Gray... what exhaust system do you recommend ?

WriteBrain.... Pms aren't working on my end either!

Ping a Mod to see if your account needs some sort of further activation. You can have the CDI for $70 shipped.