Shift detent help

I am not sure which piece is the part that gets wore as I can not find anything on the mechanism online, can someone point me in the right direction?📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1445710010.195072.jpg

You are looking on the wrong side of the motor.

Go to Yamaha's web site and down load a service manual.

No

Ahh I was afraid of that... Are the transmissions the same, or are any of the parts interchangable, I feel like 1500$ is a pretty reasonable price. Everywhere I've seen, the little arm with the wheel and the odd shaped piece that fits into the star with the two springs and metal squares was the "shift detent system"

:

Edited by RiderDeAzul

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but the shift detent is indeed visible in that photo.  The bottom ring that has a funny looking bolt in the middle is hiding the shift detent ring (the bolt holds it on), and the arm with the roller to the upper right of it is the detent arm.  

Pick up a service manual...

The aluminum star will tend to wear first, but all the parts are pretty hardy.  It's only providing a detent function, so not much pressure or sliding going on to cause wear. 

I stopped at the Yamaha Dealership yesterday, and the mechanic told me that my star and arm looked fine, he did have a suggestion that I am going to try this weekend, the bolt that holds the star in place has a tendency to come loose he told me, and he said to put some blue loc-tite on it and tighten it to specification to see if that was the issue. I also will be replacing my clutch basket as it had some grooves, and the nut holding the basket in was also not very tight, so hopefully one of these things will fix my bike, if not I have to go into the transmission  ?  I'll post an update after I install the new basket and reinstall the star, is there any special way to reinstall the star? I'm assuming the dot on the star is the notch for first gear?

You actually have to read the service manual for it to be of any use to you...

My bad, thought that you might know, my book doesn't have anything about it in it. I think I remember where it was when I got it out, if not, no big deal, a 5$ gasket is a heck of a lot cheaper than a 90$ manual.

• 2 weeks later...

Lift the bike over your head and shake!  Or you could fill with cheap oil and flush through that hole.  Chances are it will carry the washer with it and bring it out, or at least to a spot where you can magnet it.  I've done the same thing, except it was a piston circlip down past the crank... I had to pull the motor at that point.