HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CheYuen

Valve check help

5 posts in this topic

I have a 2005 WR 450 and am attempting to check the valves. 

I have aligned the timing marks:

20151023_104611.jpg

which orients the camshaft dimples like this:

20151023_104919.jpg

and the cam lobes like this:

20151023_104806_1.jpg

At this point I have no clearance.  Per the manual, I rotated the crankshaft one turn which makes the cam lobes point different directions, the camshaft dimples not even with the crankcase, and the timing mark unseen. 

Which position is correct to check valve clearance?

Edited by CheYuen

The cams rotate at half crankshaft speed, so the engine takes two full revolutions to complete a cycle.  The correct clearance and timing check position is at TDC on the compression stroke, which places the lobes pointing "up and out",  away from the lifters.  (Flickr is blocked where I work) 

If you have no clearance in that position, it's a fair bet that you need a valve job, but you can reshim it and see how things work out.  It will certainly require more than a .10mm reduction in shim thickness if you are at (or below) zero, and that's already a bad sign.  If you reshim to specs, check the clearance again after you run for about 2 hours.  If you then find that the clearance has already decreased, you need new valves.

I have a 2005 WR 450 and am attempting to check the valves. 

I have aligned the timing marks:

20151023_104611.jpg

which orients the camshaft dimples like this:

20151023_104919.jpg

and the cam lobes like this:

20151023_104806_1.jpg

At this point I have no clearance.  Per the manual, I rotated the crankshaft one turn which makes the cam lobes point different directions, the camshaft dimples not even with the crankcase, and the timing mark unseen. 

Which position is correct to check valve clearance?

You are not on compression stroke. The cams must face out when you are on compression stroke. You are one full turn off on your crank.

Thank you grayracer513 and stevethe.  I'm not sure how I bungled that even after re-checking.  Intake and exhaust clearances are on the snug side but within spec.  I will most likely re-shim next go round.  Thanks again.