wr450 on street?

I have a 2003 WR450. i was wondering if it would be a good bike to use on the street or if i should sell it and buy the already street legal WR250R. I can buy a conversion kit with the lights and mirrors to make the 450 street legal but I've heard rumours of some of these bikes having poor transmissions when it comes to highway use. Is this only a problem in some of the older bikes? or is it also a problem in the wr250r which is a factory street ready bike? would either of these bikes be good for highway use? any other information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. i am new to all motorcycles and dirtbikes in general so i dont know how reliable the wr450 would be on the street or if there would be a better dual sport bike i should go for instead.

Edited by Colt97

I have a 07 that is street legal, love the thing! Only wish I would have done it sooner. I do not ride freeway rods, only surface streets. My commute to work is only about 15 minutes and surface streets are fine. I have stock gearing right now only because I have been riding off road and dues. Usually I run a 15 front drive sprocket and leave the stock 50 tooth on the rear. 

I do a 2 mile stretch sometimes.  When I stop, it idles a couple hundred rpms higher than normal.  The radiators are nice and cool but I can feel the heat in my ankles.  There's only a liter of oil and it gets hot.

Today it was like 60 degrees out and I didn't feel much heat.  It's more of a summer thing, I think.

Edited by chu

Is it for street use only?

no, i will be using it mostly for riding trails and fields and ditches. i was thinking about making it street legal just so i could legally ride it down the gravel/dirt roads and occasionally in town. Possibly a little highway use but if ever on the highway not likely more than 30 miles at a time. 

Here is a picture of the bike currently.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I have an 06 street legal. Stock gearing. I don't hit the highway as the knobbies play hell on her over 55-60.

Love it, very fun bike!

Are you saying that your knobbies make it ride rough on highway at over 60? I took my bike on the highway the other day just to see how smooth it would be and I have nothing to complain about. My tires are full tread (knobbies all the way!) and even passed 60mp/h it was still smoother than my car or truck. Does the fact i am only 5'9" and weigh possibly 150lb have anything to do with it? my tires are by no means lacking of tread. they look like they are still brand new.

12162575_10207816272023527_694627638_o.jpg

12188659_10207907113454506_359688110_n.jpg

Edited by Colt97

I recently put the Tusk kit on my '14.  I'm really starting to love it!  I have a KLR and love that I can do some exploring off road with it but with the WR street legal I can go off road and really rip it up!  I like that.  The small tank is a problem however.  All I can go is about 55 mi. safely.  Not sure how far it will actually go before it's out but I really don't want to find out either.  Lol!

I recently put the Tusk kit on my '14.  I'm really starting to love it!  I have a KLR and love that I can do some exploring off road with it but with the WR street legal I can go off road and really rip it up!  I like that.  The small tank is a problem however.  All I can go is about 55 mi. safely.  Not sure how far it will actually go before it's out but I really don't want to find out either.  Lol!

Yep, I have been wanting to get a bigger fuel tank for some time now. I think I am going to get the 3.1 tank. With the stock tank I can get about 70 miles before I need to worry, but I start to worry at about 65-70

Yep, I have been wanting to get a bigger fuel tank for some time now. I think I am going to get the 3.1 tank. With the stock tank I can get about 70 miles before I need to worry, but I start to worry at about 65-70

Who makes the 3.1 gal. tank?  And is that the biggest you can get?  I heard/read something to the effect that if you go with a bigger tank you have to use YZ plastics around the tank.  You hear anything like that?

I have a 2003 WR450. i was wondering if it would be a good bike to use on the street or if i should sell it and buy the already street legal WR250R. I can buy a conversion kit with the lights and mirrors to make the 450 street legal but I've heard rumours of some of these bikes having poor transmissions when it comes to highway use. Is this only a problem in some of the older bikes? or is it also a problem in the wr250r which is a factory street ready bike? would either of these bikes be good for highway use? any other information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. i am new to all motorcycles and dirtbikes in general so i dont know how reliable the wr450 would be on the street or if there would be a better dual sport bike i should go for instead.

These bikes are sold with road registration out of dealers here. Many a WR gets used on the road, you'll be fine. The knobbies act as a cushdrive.

Mine's a '14 so I don't get the extra .1 gal..  Damn!  Lol!

I never thought of that but it makes sense to me [emoji106]

BushPig is probably right about the knobbies but I read something about "early" models having a flaw in the trans.  requiring a cush drive for longevity?  Anyway, what I read stated that that issue has been taken care of several years ago.  I guess you had to go through some steps and $$ to make them last on the road. YMMV

Mine's a '14 so I don't get the extra .1 gal..  Damn!  Lol!

BushPig is probably right about the knobbies but I read something about "early" models having a flaw in the trans.  requiring a cush drive for longevity?  Anyway, what I read stated that that issue has been taken care of several years ago.  I guess you had to go through some steps and $$ to make them last on the road. YMMV

I would still be careful with the shifts, particularly the downshifts and treat the gearbox w/ respect.

Its still possible to damage a GB with a cushdrive, as I found out buying an old bike.

I found chipped/worn gear dogs and bent shift forks, had to make one out of two. Should be testing it very soon.

DSC05940_zps7a6adef3.jpg

DSC05948_zpsddf67cdc.jpg

This was a 2 stroke street bike box fitted with cush drive. There is a known second gear problem, but its caused by abuse.

Edit: better pic

Edited by BushPig