HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhinoracin

Chain/sprocket options

4 posts in this topic

Getting new chain and sprockets soon. Haven't purchased a chain in a long time, but from what I remember x-ring's are the way to go for off-road/desert racing? If so, is the DID 520ERV3 the best one available?

And I'm looking for the best aluminum inner/steel outer rear sprocket, or whatever is very strong, light and trick. I've had a Renthal twinring and a couple others before, but I'm just trying to see what else is out there. Looking for a grey/titanium/silver or magnesium color.

Edited by rhinoracin

I've used the Regina ORN6 O-ring chain exclusively for over ten years.  Cost less than the ERV3, and lasts a ridiculous amount of time.  The top and bottom edges of the plates usually wear down almost to the rollers from running on all the rubber guides before it "stretches" 1.5%.   I usually get about 18-20 months out of them.

I have been using Tag Metals sprockets because of their light weight and good wear (they hard anodize them).  They look good, too, and they make a medium grey.

Thanks I'll check out the Tag sprockets...how long do they last compared to steel sprockets?

For the chain, I'm not worried about the price

Edited by rhinoracin

When A is the equal of B for much less money, I consider the price.

Tags last a long time if the chain is maintained in good condition, which is to say, at less than 2% over length. I usually don't have to replace the rear when I replace the first chain it's been run with.