2001 Yamaha yz426f

I'm looking into getting a 2001 yz426f, I've never really heard anything about the bike so I want to know how reliable they are and if you guys have had any problems with them. Thanks!

Properly cared for and in good condition, they're on the same plane as driveways, sundials, and manhole covers.  Just about bullet proof. 

The trouble is that used ones that have not been cared for well, or are just old and tired, can be really expensive to overhaul.  A complete rebuild including a valve job, a new top end, necessary trans wear parts, and a full set of bearings can go over $2500 in parts pretty quickly. 

They're a great old bike, but you have to know what you're buying into.

Alright, cool. Thank you!

I bought my 2000 426f in May. Love the bike, worst part on mine is the grabby clutch, which was fixed for the 2001 model. Like buying anything, it depends on the particular example. I picked mine up for $1400 and it's had a few issues, (front brakes needed work, fork seals were bad, chain was stretched like hell, and the clutch is grabby which isn't an issue on the 01+) but that's the kind of stuff to be expected with a 15 year old bike; nothing serious/really expensive. Motor runs perfectly though, tons of power and no real signs of age there.

My 426 is great..just got a yz250, the 426 is way easier to ride.

I may end up keeping the 426 and selling the 250.

Love my 426 for what it is. And it's cool to have one of the early pre-450 era bikes. Just do your research and know what it's defining attributes are - heavy, powerful, reliable, and pretty fun for all around riding. Doesn't really excel at any one thing, especially compared to the newer bikes. But it's cool and it rips and wheelies and roosts all day. It's loud and fast. My only gripe is that parts and mods are becoming harder to find. If you're going to mod it then you may as well get a newer YZF platform since the parts are the same price anyway and way easier to get.

That is a good point.  At this time, it's best to consider the 400 and 426 as classics, restore them to near their original condition, and either ride them just as they are for what they are, or just hang onto them.  Modifying them for power and performance improvements is no longer practical. 

That is a good point. At this time, it's best to consider the 400 and 426 as classics, restore them to near their original condition, and either ride them just as they are for what they are, or just hang onto them. Modifying them for power and performance improvements is no longer practical.

I totally agree. Its awesome to get people saying stuff like "that was a badass bike back in the day" or "those bikes won a lot of races win my time"

If not practical, it's at least cool.

Here's mine

20150516_083454.jpg

20150516_083416.jpg

Edited by Baldwin

...it's at least cool.

At the very least.  The 400 and 426 were two of the biggest game-changers ever to roll out of a pickup bed.