Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ETP

Response from gephardtgephardt@kutv2.. No WR450 Recall?

10 posts in this topic

I sent this guy an email regarding the WR450 starter problem.

Here is the response:

Ted,

Obviously, our story was about the Yamaha Recall and the lack of parts to fix that recall. The customer we interviewed was not getting any answers to when he would get the rpoblem fixed. He was told he could not drive his bike until it was fixed.

It sounds like you have a completely different problem and it has not been addressed with a recall yet.

The guy I talked to at Yamaha is Mike Shmidt. The toll free number at Yamaha is 1-800-227-5963 or you can e-mail them at www.yamaha-motor.com.

He promised to look into every customer complaint and concern. I would also consider contacting NITSA ( Nat. Hwy Traffic Safety Admin.) if you feel they are not addressing an issue that needs a recall.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Doug Edwards

I will be contacting Mike next week for sure.

The Feds over at the NHTSA could give a rats about off highway motorcycles.... :)

They'd love to build in something that made them break down completely after 100 miles...

They need a "Check Engine" light that comes on after 1,000 miles! :):D

What they should do is design the starter mechinism to have a known "weak link" so after a nasty backfire, the "weak link" breaks, leaving the kick starter available to start the bike.

I think most motorcycle mfgers do the same thing. Honda had quite a few 02 CRF450 that went through valves quickly. They just ignore the problem and eventually it goes away.

Gephardt is a bad ass. I sincerely hope he takes enough interest in this to help you guys out.

I sat next to him at a local concert . He is a really decent guy. He has had several motorcycle related stories on his show over the past few years.

I hate to tell you guys this , BUT,,,,,, The NTSB will do nothing for our Flywheel key problems. A recall is for SAFETY related problems only. Any way thats how it works in the auto industry, probably the same for bikes. Shearing the flywheel key is NOT a safety item, mostly a expensive pain in the butt item but Not safety. SORRY.

Jim

I hate to tell you guys this , BUT,,,,,, The NTSB will do nothing for our Flywheel key problems. A recall is for SAFETY related problems only. Any way thats how it works in the auto industry, probably the same for bikes. Shearing the flywheel key is NOT a safety item, mostly a expensive pain in the butt item but Not safety. SORRY.

Jim

Not a safety issue until some guy dies because his key failed 50-miles from nowhere.

Of course, anyone who rides by himself is taking a huge risk.