How much better will the 2016 WR be ?

How much better do you think the 2016 WR450F will be than the previous generation ?

Will the reverse cylinder engine make it feel a lot more nimble or will it just be an "incrementally better" sort of thing ?

Wouldn't you want the 450FX as opposed to the WR? Since you have basically made your WR into an FX before they were available.

For easy engine starting and strong performance in a variety of conditions, the WR450F is equipped with an all new fuel injection system that is designed to enable the rider to exploit fully the machine's increased potential.

Based on the latest 2016 YZ450F system, the WR450F's new fuel injection system has been completely reprogrammed to meet the needs of the enduro rider. The 44mm throttle body is 2mm larger than the design fitted on the current WR450F, and a revised spray angle and improved throttle valve opening characteristics contribute towards the WR450F's good balance of high power/high speed performance together with ease of use and rideability at lower speeds.

Starting the WR450F on a cold day - or restarting a hot engine - is made easy with the newly designed electric starter. A new auto-decompressor system cuts in when the electric start is activated for easy starting, and the air supply to the engine can be increased by 40% by for reliable cold starting. If for any reason the electric starter cannot be used, the WR450F is equipped with a kick-starter

Equipped with a new wide ratio 5-speed transmission, the WR450F is ready to master any terrain - from slow speed woods riding through to aggressive special tests - as well as being able to achieve a good top speed on open enduro and rally terrain. Compared to the previous WR450F, the new model runs with higher 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears, while 1st and 5th remain the same.

To complement its wide-ratio transmission this next generation enduro bike features an all-new enduro clutch that's designed to handle the long and hard days experienced in a typical event. For a light feel together with good durability, the new clutch uses new materials for the friction plates and clutch disc, as well as a newly added push lever.

In order to give the enduro rider improved levels of feedback and a more connected feel with the terrain, the upper and front engine brackets are manufactured from 6mm thick steel plate, 2mm less than used on the YZ450F motocross model.

............. I DON'T THINK  THIS NEXT PART APPLIES TO USA MODELS: WE GET SPRING SSS VERSION NOT THE AOS

In the motocross world, the Yamaha YZ450F's Air-Oil-Separate (AOS) front forks are widely regarded as being amongst the very best designs available today. By keeping the air and oil in separate chambers, these high-tech forks help to prevent cavitation for more stable damping performance and predictable handling characteristics.

The 2016 WR450F uses the same forks as its motocross counterpart, but to ensure smoother low speed operation - combined with the ability to absorb harsh bumps - the WR-F model runs with dedicated enduro settings. Similarly, the YZ450F-based rear shock runs with revised settings that have been designed to handle the wide variety of low and high speed riding associated with enduro racing.

Like the latest 2016 YZ-F models, the all-new WR450F is equipped with a 270mm diameter front disc brake that offers excellent stopping performance together with accurate feel.

The WR450F is equipped with a full lighting kit, and to handle the extra demand on the electrical system, a high output ACM is fitted. The lightweight digital instruments include a multi-function display with an enduro computer that keeps the rider informed about their progress and distance covered - while a fuel level warning lets the rider know when it's time to refuel. There's also a main switch-free starting system for speed and convenience.
Edited by KRANNIE
  • Like 3

For easy engine starting and strong performance in a variety of conditions, the WR450F is equipped with an all new fuel injection system that is designed to enable the rider to exploit fully the machine's increased potential.

Based on the latest 2016 YZ450F system, the WR450F's new fuel injection system has been completely reprogrammed to meet the needs of the enduro rider. The 44mm throttle body is 2mm larger than the design fitted on the current WR450F, and a revised spray angle and improved throttle valve opening characteristics contribute towards the WR450F's good balance of high power/high speed performance together with ease of use and rideability at lower speeds.

Yup good things it is a YZ450 in sheeps clothing.

Here are a few details that I was not aware of.  Specifically the change in the throttle body and changes to 2nd thru 4th gear.  I think it will have a lot of small changes that will make it overall much better.

http://www.enduro21.com/index.php/40-general/98-first-look-yamaha-s-2016-wr450f

That is the Euro-spec model.

Our has no black rims and no AOS forks.

That is the Euro-spec model.

Our has no black rims and no AOS forks.

I get the black rims, but think they just mis-spoke as they also mention that it is the same suspension as the YZ and the YZ's haven't used AOS forks for a long time.  I doubt there would be different tranny ratios between US and Euro models as well.  Don't think they have ever done that.

I get the black rims, but think they just mis-spoke as they also mention that it is the same suspension as the YZ and the YZ's haven't used AOS forks for a long time.  I doubt there would be different tranny ratios between US and Euro models as well.  Don't think they have ever done that.

You might be right

The new YZ450F forks are call SFF.

You might be right

The new YZ450F forks are call SFF.

I got that link off of Enduro21.com.  I think they get lots of Euro specs and typo's.  Come to think of it, I don't know why they would change all the gears except 1st and 5th so who knows if that's even accurate.  The different throttle body size would make sense though as I think the 4-valve motor will breath a little better and may have a need for the larger throttle body.

I got that link off of Enduro21.com.  I think they get lots of Euro specs and typo's.  Come to think of it, I don't know why they would change all the gears except 1st and 5th so who knows if that's even accurate.  The different throttle body size would make sense though as I think the 4-valve motor will breath a little better and may have a need for the larger throttle body.

Yes the five valve bike had a 2mm smaller throttle body than the four valve YZ's. Also a lot more power with the new YZ head design. Bravo.

Ti Slip on

Kickstarter removal

GYTR alloy replacement parts

Li battery

Tubelss system

Alloy fastener kit

That's about 15lbs less right there, with (nearly) no compromises

That is the same weight as a '15 500EXC, for over $1000 less

Woo

Hoo

If that's true, that's a significant amount of weight.   Heck, even 10 lbs means a lot.

But that being said, one thing I used to LOVE about my old steel framed WR was stability.    It just didn't move much beneath me.  I picked a line and it stayed there until I made a deliberate choice to change lines or turn.   Its mentally relaxing to ride that way.

Taking away too much weight makes it less planted.   The KTM 450 I had was never as planted as a WR.

I'm not entirely sure its good to look at the scale alone.       At least not for me.