HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnyk1990

Is it worth rebuilding?

7 posts in this topic

I just purchased a 2001 YZ426F for $300 it is in good shape over all and has a new clutch and performance exhaust with newer tires but needs a new piston and crankshaft rebuild. I have all the tools I need to split the case and will be doing all the labor minus the crankshaft rebuild myself. My question is would I be better off to rebuild it over the winter or strip it and sell it for parts?

I think the 426 is a cool bike, for the little you have in it I would rebuild it if the rest of the bike is in good shape.

1 person likes this

With only 300 in it and it needing only a piston and crank, I would say to rebuild it. This is one of those rare occurrences where you can get your money back if you choose to sell the bike later. In my book that is considered a "win."

I just purchased a 2001 YZ426F for $300 it is in good shape over all and has a new clutch and performance exhaust with newer tires but needs a new piston and crankshaft rebuild. I have all the tools I need to split the case and will be doing all the labor minus the crankshaft rebuild myself. My question is would I be better off to rebuild it over the winter or strip it and sell it for parts?

Are you sure thats all you need to do? Im just asking bc i also did the same thing as you and bought my buddies blown up yz400f and a lot more was wrong than i thought

That's the risk you run.  Either way, his initial investment is pretty low, and it would, IMO, be fun to do a full restoration on a YZ426. 

The bike is in great shape over all, the guy had the suspension redone recently it has newer tires and new plastics all around. I pulled the motor apart last night; the cylinder, cylinder head and piston are in great shape, the only thing it needs is a crank rebuild it still turns freely but you can feel the bearings binding up a bit.