2016 yz450fx just released

I've been told, gotta wait until January...but that's Canada, limited release too so you might want to put down a deposit

I've been told, gotta wait until January...but that's Canada, limited release too so you might want to put down a deposit

I put a deposit down while back,, now im told first week of dec so who knows.. If its any later I doubt i will wait as I need it for a snow bike build 

my local shop said they should be in next week.. i really really want one!! i just went through my old 04 250f.. spent quite a bit on it.. so now i have a "new" bike sitting in the garage.. the ol lady wasnt digging the idea of getting another bike.. i guess ill have to wait till april for my bday.. i love that 250f.. but oh man.. im sure i would REALLLLLY LOVE that new bike too... gahh!!

I added a WR 4th and 5th gear to my transmission and ended up dropping to a 13/50 from a 13/48.  The thing runs over 80 with ease, and cruises at 60+ happily.  I don't think you'd be looking for 6th very often with an X. 

With all due respect, GR, you won't ride tight technical woods with 13/48 gearing.  Way too fast.  I mean you can ride it, but you'll be slipping the clutch and the bike will be working against you in the tight stuff.  No fun.  On the trails we ride, the YZ450F rider has regeared to 12/50 and even then it is a bit fast.   On the other hand the stock gearing on a YZ250FX is perfect.  6 speed transmissions have their place, even on a 450.

With all due respect, GR, you won't ride tight technical woods with 13/48 gearing.  Way too fast.  I mean you can ride it, but you'll be slipping the clutch and the bike will be working against you in the tight stuff.  No fun.  On the trails we ride, the YZ450F rider has regeared to 12/50 and even then it is a bit fast.   On the other hand the stock gearing on a YZ250FX is perfect.  6 speed transmissions have their place, even on a 450.

With all due respect, MCG, you've never ridden the desert canyons of SoCal before, so don't suggest that they're not technical.  You've done that before. The "woods" look a little different where I ride than up there in Calgary.  And now that I have the WR 4/5 mod in the transmission, I don't have to run a 13/48 any more, but I did.  I do however run 13/50, and slipping the clutch is what the Rekluse is for.  Bear in mind that this is all with a YZ low gear, not the crawler in your WR.  The problem, you see is that you not only have to ride the rocky stuff (the picture is the easy stuff at the bottom...a lot of times we go up to where the good stuff is), you have to run with the big dogs out in the open areas, too, and 13/48 wasn't high enough with the stock YZ transmission.

At 2500 RPM, the difference between 12/50 and 13/48 in a YZ450 is the difference between 9 and 10 MPH. With a WR low gear, it's between 7.5 and 8 MPH.  Not enough to mean much of anything.  On top end with the WR trans, the spread is right around 9 MPH at 8000 RPM, the difference between 69 and 78 MPH.  That matters a lot more.  It's bad enough that most of the electric start bikes beat you off the line without giving them the lake beds, too.

48x13OTBsb.jpg

With all due respect, MCG, you've never ridden the desert canyons of SoCal before, so don't suggest that they're not technical. You've done that before. The "woods" look a little different where I ride than up there in Calgary. And now that I have the WR 4/5 mod in the transmission, I don't have to run a 13/48 any more, but I did. I do however run 13/50, and slipping the clutch is what the Rekluse is for. Bear in mind that this is all with a YZ low gear, not the crawler in your WR. The problem, you see is that you not only have to ride the rocky stuff (the picture is the easy stuff at the bottom...a lot of times we go up to where the good stuff is), you have to run with the big dogs out in the open areas, too, and 13/48 wasn't high enough with the stock YZ transmission.

At 2500 RPM, the difference between 12/50 and 13/48 in a YZ450 is the difference between 9 and 10 MPH. With a WR low gear, it's between 7.5 and 8 MPH. Not enough to mean much of anything. On top end with the WR trans, the spread is right around 9 MPH at 8000 RPM, the difference between 69 and 78 MPH. That matters a lot more. It's bad enough that most of the electric start bikes beat you off the line without giving them the lake beds, too.

I would skip the respect part :lol:

With all due respect, MCG, you've never ridden the desert canyons of SoCal before, so don't suggest that they're not technical. 

It would be fun to lead him through a 3rd loop..

It would be fun to lead him through a 3rd loop..

JV has has nice canyons :D