Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxvet137

2014 YZ450F Rear Shock Removal

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Do I need to remove the gas tank in order to get the rear shock off and out? So far I've pulled off the subframe, the pipe from mid up, the bottom and top shock bolts. There isn't enough clearance to pull the shock out. What am I missing?

Thanks!

The swing arm is pretty tight towards the bottom of the shock spring. Most of the time I will service the linkage at the same time so unbolting all linkage and dropping the swing arm down makes things easier. The swing arm should pivot enough to do the job without. A tall stand or taking your wheel off will also make this easier. The shock should lower out of its top cradle and come out. The tank removes easily and can pivoted to the side to allow vision but does not need to be removed.

The swing arm is pretty tight towards the bottom of the shock spring. Most of the time I will service the linkage at the same time so unbolting all linkage and dropping the swing arm down makes things easier. The swing arm should pivot enough to do the job without. A tall stand or taking your wheel off will also make this easier. The shock should lower out of its top cradle and come out. The tank removes easily and can pivoted to the side to allow vision but does not need to be removed.

Great advice, thanks so much!

Hello,

Do I need to remove the gas tank in order to get the rear shock off and out? So far I've pulled off the subframe, the pipe from mid up, the bottom and top shock bolts. There isn't enough clearance to pull the shock out. What am I missing?

Thanks!

You don't have to remove the pipe, or even the subframe, just the tank. All you have to do it lift the tank up and rotate it around backwards...

You don't have to remove the pipe, or even the subframe, just the tank. All you have to do it lift the tank up and rotate it around backwards...

Too late. But in the future, I will do it like you say. Thanks for the input!

Too late. But in the future, I will do it like you say. Thanks for the input!

Wait till you add a larger tank, then you'll be up shits Creek. A major PITA!