HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knuckleduster271

Fuel injected cams in a carbureted bike?

6 posts in this topic

Ive been looking at performance cams for my wr450. I bought a stage one intake hot cam but I'm thinking about sending it back as I found a hotcam with a littler higher lift and longer duration that I'm interested in. Only problem is it's made for the fuel injected yfz450 atv's.

I don't really see how being fuel injected would really make a difference but I'm not an expert and there are some really knowledgeable folks on here that might be willing to share some insight..

Here are the specs on the cam

Hot Cam Builder Series Intake cam Part # 4239-INBLD: Intake Duration (Degrees at 1mm): 254.00 Intake Lift (mm): 9.65 Intake Lobe Center (Degrees): 106.00 Intake Valve Lash (mm): .10

Edited by knuckleduster271

They will not fit

Different motor

Hot Cams makes a YZ spec cam for the WR. It is a little peaky, but it defineitly gives you more power from mid on up.

You can also use the OEM YZ cam in the WR, but you have to grind down the decompression pin for the estart to work.

Tons of threads on the subjet.

There's no decomp pin on the intake cam.  Builder series, I don't think they work with stock valve springs.

They will not fit

Different motor

Hot Cams makes a YZ spec cam for the WR. It is a little peaky, but it defineitly gives you more power from mid on up.

You can also use the OEM YZ cam in the WR, but you have to grind down the decompression pin for the estart to work.

There's no decomp pin on the intake cam. Builder series, I don't think they work with stock valve springs.

They will not fit

Different motor

Where are they? Ive searched and came up with zilch on using 08-09 atv cams in a bike..

The atv has the same 5 valve design as the wr iirc.

I have 06 yz cams in it at the moment and actually bought a stage one yz hot cam but i want a higher lift/longer duration than whats available nor do i want to spend $500 on a set of webs.

As for the decomp pin not being right, the atvs are estart as well. Dont really see where being fi would.stop it from working just because theres a throttle body i. Place of where the carb used to be.

Im aware they use stiffer springs, planned on changing them anyways.

Physically they look the the same, and according to this thread the are interchangable on the atvs.

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/86-yfzr-x-powertrain/168634-2014r-2010r-2008-carb-camshaft-comparison.html

lots of folks using the 08 carb vam in the newer fi atvs

Screenshot_2015-10-04-16-05-52_zps6kwctz

As said above, the decomp pin is on the exhaust so it shouldnt effect the estart (not that i ever use it anyways)

I've tried most of the cams from Web and Hot cams and believe they do not work well at all in the five valve motors.

There is only one cam genius out there for the five valve motors. He has many options so you need to tell him what you are looking for. However he is very busy and you may have to call more than once. His name is Geoff from MMAD at 619-562-6623. One thing however don't waste his time. If you are going to run a Hot cam or other do that first so you can see how useless they are and then when your not happy with the performance call him.

There's nothing worse than when someone calls a great tuner takes a load of his time then buys or is going to run someone else's prouduct.