HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ledrocnoc

Upper triple clamp bolt size - 2008 WR450F

3 posts in this topic

I bought some barkbusters with the Cycra mounts that attach to the upper triple clamp.  Something like that:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52756&d=1326

So when I install them I'd like to put stronger longer bolts to compensate for the mount thickness.

But... my bike is in Europe (France to be exact) while I am myself in California (yeah... long story...).  So, I'd like to buy the bolts here before I leave and I was wondering if there would be someone nice enough to measure the WR450F upper clamps bolts size (length and Metric size) and post it here so that I can get replacement ones.

Thanks!

Looked in the service manual for bolt specs.  They list M8 x 1.25 on the threads.  Looks like it is 35mm in length.  While these triple mount clamps are cool and all, I think the issue you will encounter is that there is a plate on each side of the upper triple clamp that Yamaha uses to mount the front plate/headlight.  In addition, on the left side, the upper triple clamp also holds the nylon guide that routes the front brake line.

I suggest you take a look at the parts schematic under "steering" and "electrical 1" and you can see these things that I mention. This is why I didnt use the triple clamp mounts for the WR450F.  Most people go with the Cycra CRM (center reach mount) or with something like this BRP hand guard mount (which is what I did) that also is a handlebar clamp:

http://cyclebuy.com/shopping/brp/handguard_mount.htm

Im sure some guys have figured out how to deal with these issues with the triple clamp mounting, but it didnt look easy to me and I was concerned I would come up with a half assed solution, so I just went another route (BRP handguard mounts with Cycra CRM hand guards).

Looked in the service manual for bolt specs.  They list M8 x 1.25 on the threads.  Looks like it is 35mm in length.  While these triple mount clamps are cool and all, I think the issue you will encounter is that there is a plate on each side of the upper triple clamp that Yamaha uses to mount the front plate/headlight.  In addition, on the left side, the upper triple clamp also holds the nylon guide that routes the front brake line.

I suggest you take a look at the parts schematic under "steering" and "electrical 1" and you can see these things that I mention. This is why I didnt use the triple clamp mounts for the WR450F.  Most people go with the Cycra CRM (center reach mount) or with something like this BRP hand guard mount (which is what I did) that also is a handlebar clamp:

http://cyclebuy.com/shopping/brp/handguard_mount.htm

Im sure some guys have figured out how to deal with these issues with the triple clamp mounting, but it didnt look easy to me and I was concerned I would come up with a half assed solution, so I just went another route (BRP handguard mounts with Cycra CRM hand guards).

Thanks!  That makes sense.  I just ordered the BRP mounts (pricey... but hey...).