HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doug06fx4screw

Help me! Pro Circuit Ti 4 Way too loud!

21 posts in this topic

Recently bought an 03 WR450 with a full PC Ti4 exhaust. Bike runs amazing, but it's obnoxiously loud. I plan on pulling the silencer apart to see if it's due for a repack but, from what I hear a repack will not quiet this exhaust down much. Is there a quieter slip on that will fit the pro circuit header pipe? Not looking to choke this bike down with a stock exhaust, just looking to quiet her down a bit. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Doug06fx4screw

A lot of these "race" style pipes are pretty much straight through cores. That is why they are so loud.

I have built aluminum discs using different diameter hole patterns to effectively quite down several pipes I have installed on bikes. Basically they are just pretty thin (usually about 1/8th to 1/4 inch discs) that bolt in just before the pipe endcap. They even use the same bolts to hold them in place that the end cap is mounted with. 

Fairly straight forward and real effective.

A lot of these "race" style pipes are pretty much straight through cores. That is why they are so loud.

I have built aluminum discs using different diameter hole patterns to effectively quite down several pipes I have installed on bikes. Basically they are just pretty thin (usually about 1/8th to 1/4 inch discs) that bolt in just before the pipe endcap. They even use the same bolts to hold them in place that the end cap is mounted with.

Fairly straight forward and real effective.

That is a great idea. If I had the tools to machine aluminum I would give it a try.

Yeah, I am fortunate that I have the machines and the know how to make just about anything.

A buddy of mine did do a bang up job of building a couple quieting end caps  by just using a hand held drill with a hole saw after he saw the ones I made!

Basically he just punched out a couple three inch diameter circles of 1/8th inch aluminum, and then laid out and drilled another hole pattern of about 8-10 holes in the aluminum disc after he had it punched out.

They may not have been as accurate a pattern as the ones I did, but once installed in the pipe no one could tell the difference, and the pipe was a lot quieter!

No Pun meant, i guess im lucky living in south east Queensland Australia, about 4 times a year at holiday times a dozen of us meet and camp at a mates farm .

that backs on to approx 100sq kilometers of state forest,is just awesome ridding, big place some of us have been riding in there since we were kids 35 years ago we have never come accross any one else in there even at the busiest

holiday times of the year and we ride in there for several days at a time , so i guess loud exhausts inst an issue for us, lucky hey

BTW my bike is a 09 wr450 with a YZ450 GYTR full exhuast fitted, not real loud until you get up it.

as for loud bikes a lot of harleys are obnoxiously loud but back in the mid 80s B4 noise pollution became a real issue.

i had a 1982 Ducati 900ss with 40mm Delorto bell mouth carbies and open Conti exhuasts never realized how loud it was 

till i swapped bikes on a ride with a mate one day and followed it,nearly perforated an ear drum. ahhh the good old days 

I live in a rural area, so I don't have an issue with disturbing the peace. My exhaust is just too loud for my preference.

I disassembled the silencer and found that 1/3 of the baffle is gone, what's left of it is brittle and crumbling apart. I ordered a new baffle and a quiet insert. If all goes as planned, I will have it back together next weekend and my bike will be at least tolerable for me to ride. If not, then I will be looking at a different exhaust system, trying to avoid that route!

It also runs MUCH better with the packing 100% intact, because that's how it was tuned.

The packing was in decent shape and intact, the baffle pipe that the packing is wrapped in is what's in bad shape and partly gone.

Question on repacking, should I wrap it tight as possible or should I loosely wrap it?

Wrap it only tight enough to fit.

I use that blue painters tape to hold in in place, which comes apart as soon as it gets hot.