yz426...quad???

Here are a few reasons quads piss me off:

1) They throw 5x as much dust up as dirtbikes

2) They do nothing but get in the way

3) Have you ever been ready to land a 100+ft jump and see a quad putting around in 1st gear on the landing ramp? well it isnt fun..and the thing that gets me is when they look back and see you they either swerve into you or slow down/stop (if they would keep their line it wouldnt be as dangerous)

4) I also see guys on 4 wheelers try to do some jumps that arent made for a 400lb 4 wheeler. Example: I saw a guy's axle snap off on a Raptor (he was attempting a 60 ft triple, nuts on a 4 wheeler) and the guy snapped his femur and was life flighted to Hermann Hospital. Then his broken off wheel (going about 50mph) flew off and over a berm and hit a kid on a KX65!

I have tons of other 4 wheeler stories but I am sure you guys dont want to hear them! I think they should have a separate track to ride on, or have shifts or something...because 75% of the wrecks I see on MX tracks is related to a 4 wheeler! Later,

Garrett

Originally posted by motoman393:

Here are a few reasons quads piss me off:

1) They throw 5x as much dust up as dirtbikes

2) They do nothing but get in the way

3) Have you ever been ready to land a 100+ft jump and see a quad putting around in 1st gear on the landing ramp? well it isnt fun..and the thing that gets me is when they look back and see you they either swerve into you or slow down/stop (if they would keep their line it wouldnt be as dangerous)

4) I also see guys on 4 wheelers try to do some jumps that arent made for a 400lb 4 wheeler. Example: I saw a guy's axle snap off on a Raptor (he was attempting a 60 ft triple, nuts on a 4 wheeler) and the guy snapped his femur and was life flighted to Hermann Hospital. Then his broken off wheel (going about 50mph) flew off and over a berm and hit a kid on a KX65!

I have tons of other 4 wheeler stories but I am sure you guys dont want to hear them! I think they should have a separate track to ride on, or have shifts or something...because 75% of the wrecks I see on MX tracks is related to a 4 wheeler! Later,

Garrett

I agree to an extent, bikes and quads on the same track AT THE SAME TIME, do not mix. I for one am glad that VP Cycleranch prohibits quads on the MX track... They ruin the lines, and a fact, the average quad rider is considerably slower than an equivalently skilled MX'er, and cannot jump the same jumps, and they DO get in the way and can cause major carnage. Now having said that, I think quads are a blast! And I have seen some killer fast (scary even) riders that can run 250 Int. lap times on an MX track, but they DO NOT need to be on the track at the same time. Period.

Well XRRacer, I almost hate to say any thing else about quads on here after that scolding, but I will anyway. The YZ 426 conversion is pretty popular with in racing circles, and the conversion is pretty easy to do. We just completed one for a friend of mine, and I'm looking for a YZ or maybe even a WR for my own conversion project to be started on soon.

I'm sorry that some of you guys hate quads so much, I've always felt like you bike guys ruin the track with all those skinny ruts, and one line sections (J/K LOL).

I feel like we are all on the same team and wish we could work together on some things.

I'm afraid the bike/quad bickering is not helping us in the greater fight for more riding areas, but everybody's got to hate someone.

wow! i went to the CRA race in akron, OH, on saturday,a dn saw the ... (hard to say) coolest..quad (woah... that was a hard one to get out) i have ever seen. it was a honda 250r framed yz426 engine... it smoked everything else on the track, including the 250r 2-smokes, banshees, 400ex's, and raptors...

i was thinking bout a qu-qu-qua-...oh i can't say it, but anyways, for harescrambling right after the bike races (a "double header" endurance race day if you will) and this would deinitly be the four-wheelie-mobile i would get for that...

*one last note to quad riders: please be sure to disengage mower deck before entering racing surface...

(had to slip a slam on 4-wheelers in there somewhere after all i said bout that one)

later ?

Did someone say quads can't jump the same jumps as a dirt bike? Quads do tear up the lines on an MX track,but I wasn't aware that MX was suppose to be smooth. And as far as being in the way, well lets meet sometime at a neutral race track and see who rules. How would you know that quads throw up 5x more dust, if you werent behind it? Lawdog

> How would you know that quads throw up 5x more

> dust, if you werent behind it?

Well, you do have to pass every now and then while lapping them. ;P

Seriously though, I don't have an agression towards quads, I've seen many crazy fast guys on quads and while I think they're nutts they do seem to be having fun. I saw a guy on a raptor absolutely flying around thundercross, even clearing the 100' table top in the back. I never knew that something that heavy could fly like that! I dont' dislike quads or people who ride them, but I do agree that they should have their own time alone on the track for safety reasons, at least during busy days.

uh.... lawdog... i have not seen any light.. i just saw a decent quad... i don't have the $$$ to shell out for one right now anyways.... all i could afford right now is an older 300ex or a blaster....on a loan even!!!

i was just complimenting you on your cool ride... i am envious... that would be a monster wods ride...

you didn't do half bad on that track, either... ?

ANYWAYS... i didn't mean to start a heated hate-mail discussion on whether bikes or quads were better or more fun, etc... i was just sharing something cool concerning a 426 engine. i have nothing against quads (that mower deck crack was a joke, lighten up) and most of my buds that ride have quads. bikes and quads each have their own advantages and disadvantages and are not meant to be used for exactly the same thing.

ANYWAYS (again)... in cosing, cool quad, props to you on your riding, (your nuts, i'd never leave the ground on one of those things), keep it up.

besides... everybody knows bikes are faster anyways :D ... :D:D

I know I have no problems riding with quads. Yeah, usually you find quad riders are slower....that just means you get to practice passing more often!

I like having the quads blow down berms and ruts, they make the track smoother! (I am serious about liking that, that was not sarcastic!) I know they kick up more dust, that is unavoidable, and perhaps my only real problem with them...but I'd rather dust to a pine bark coated, watered down slop hole track.

MOST quads cannot do the same jumps, simply because of the limitations of the machine. Same as if someone was on a 1973 Maico, would you not want them riding on 'your' track?? They are a bike....but the bike is limited to it's jumping abilities. It needs to be dealt with, not just told not to ride.

With the speed difference, I beg to differ that an equally skilled quad rider cannot go as fast as a bike. They have MORE traction, no chance of tipping over, and should have better control. Most quad riders again, you will probably find, are beginners, or people who are not interested in racing, jumping 100' tables, and the like. They just want to have fun. Again, they should be dealt with, not just told to not ride.

I too have had some dealings with quads, but it is those people not 'quads'.

When we were in California in August, we rode Elsinore, Comp. Park, Glen Helen, and such. Elsinore does not allow quads. That really stank, because my oldest uncle (not the one that gets me parts) rides quads. He can't ride a bike, he lost both legs in Vietnam. That simply meant he couldn't ride with us. When he got on the tracks he COULD ride, he was mighty freakin' fast. Tough to pass, but stable, controlled, and trustworthy. I trust a quad beside be anyday over a beginner bike rider....i'd be concerned about the bike tipping over or blowing through a berm, thats tough for a quad to do.....

I just have to comment on this one since I'm a former quad mx'er. Quads and bikes do not get on the same track at the same time, period. If they are, the track owners are stupid. Where I raced, noone was allowed in the infield when the quads run. No, stock quads cannot do the same jumps as a stock mx bike. Axles snap all the time, it's not that unusual. Why? Probably because they landed one side or the other stressing the axle. Quads have to jump straight. Try jumping straight on a bike all the time. If a quad is on a mx track, then it's probably modified to mx, ie..shocks, a-arms, wheels tires, etc. It is 200% harder to mx a quad than a bike. Read that in a magazine somewhere. Amatuer riders have to start somewhere to learn how to race, so why knock the quad beginners when the bikes make the same mistakes. MX bikes get upgraded every year with new stuff to go mxing. Quads do not. Now for all you guys who love your mx bikes and hate quads. Go to your local dealership and ask them if they can stay in business without selling quads? No they cannot! And guess where all the profits from quads sales go? The manufactuers put the profits into R&D into their MX bikes! not quads. Yes it's true, you quad haters really should check yourself. I read the article with all the stats and info on this subject in DirtWheels magazine a few years back, that's how I know all this. The GNC Pro Class yz426 quad cost more than 20 grand to build. I ran local pro class for 3 years on my Leagers/Curtis Sparks 250R quad and it cost me around 13 grand with sponsor help. That's dedication to the sport, so try to show some respect to the sport. I love to mx, I want to learn to mx on a bike. But the guys on bikes who think they are better than the quad guys touches a nerve with me. There was a guy here who didn't want quads racing the same day, not the same time, with the bikes and he was open about it when no quad riders were around. Well I confronted him about it and he said he never said anything like that. I figured he would say that but I had to go to the source of the rumor to shut him up. He's about 5'5" 120-130, I'm 6'2" 195. Maybe that had something to do with it.

xrracer36, you should see lawdog cut his grass with that thing. A slip on mower deck takes about 5-minutes to attach and he cuts his yard in about 4-5 minutes. If the grass gets too high, he just changes pipes for more low end grunt. He also has a snow blade for the winter months ?

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: PHI ]

You must be a neighbor ofmine,I never thought anyone else has ever seen me cut my grass with my quad. I tried to use a stock 426 bike, but it kept falling over!! I even hung way off of the inside, same result, fast down the straight and WHAM fell right over. LAWDOG

i can hear it now

art eckman: "hello everyone and welcome to the first round of the 2003 AMA lawncross nationals. i am art eckman and this is my partner David Bailey. As we get started, they are ready to go. the 30 second board goes sideways and they're off! it's LAWDOG in the lead going around the first hedge on his Kubota sponsored 426, grabbing the john deere holeshot award..."

later..." And there they go, bar to bar, mower deck to mower deck, now david, that is real roost, LAWDOG just made that other rider eat his clippings."

David Bailey: " he sure did art. i remember back in the day when i used to ride without factory sponsorship, and those factory guys blades were just so much sharper than ours... now let's go trackside for todays CUB CADET TIP SETUP TIP OF THE WEEK"

Jeff Emig: " well guys, today we're here with LAWDOG's mechanic, talking about proper mower dec belt maintnance"

Mechanic: " you have got to be sure to keep maintnance on your mower deck belts"

back to david/art

David: " so true art, so true."

Art:" And there's LAWDOG, taking the win with a mow-mow (variation of nac-nac), advancing to the main yard, er i mean event along with the next 3 riders to cross that line...."

:D:D

?:D