Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc83

HELP Please!

17 posts in this topic

Ok so I've just replaced the water pump on my Wr450 and when re-assembling the banjo washer off the top oil line feed fell off and dropped through gallery hole into engine. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions In retrieving this?

Can you see it, or see where it may be.  I fished a locating dowel out of the bottom end of my bike last fall when it went down the camchain tunnel.  I used a thin telescoping magnet.

1 person likes this

It's a copper crush washer.  Non-ferrous.  Magnet's not going to do much good.

Magnet wire can be shaped into a hook, see if you can find it and fish it out that way.

Next time, shop rag over the holes. :prof:

It's a copper crush washer.  Non-ferrous.  Magnet's not going to do much good.

Magnet wire can be shaped into a hook, see if you can find it and fish it out that way.

Next time, shop rag over the holes. :prof:

Oops, thats right, its either copper or aluminum.  The banjo washers on many Jap bikes are aluminum.

I did have a rag in place whilst working on the bike, I removed it just as I was about to put the engine case back on. What I should have done is also remove the washer until after the case was on. Hindsight is such a great thing

Next step is to stand bike up and shake it and tip it on its other side in a hope the washer comes out. Failing that i was going to flush some old engine oil through to see if that washes it to the bottom where I can retrieve. Failing that if I leave it in there will it cause any damage? I'm guessing it will eventually sink to bottom of engine and just stay there?

How will a magnet work on copper? If this is true I'm happy, although people above said the washer may have been aluminum and I'm 100% certain a magnet wont work on that

Ok but probably not enough ferrous metal to make them magnetic enough to retrieve with a small enough magnet to drop in the engine casing.

1 person likes this

Problem solved, my mate who is an auto mechanic and absolute legend turned up with some brake/clutch cleaner and flushed the washer to bottom of engine where we managed to fish it out with an old mountain bike brake cable. Just need to finish re-assembling bike now and fill up with oil/water coolant and see if all is well. Fingers crossed.

1 person likes this

Good deal. glad you were able to get it out.

A little trick to retrieving non-magnetic things out of places they should not be is to make a small ball out of a piece of clay. Squish it onto a screwdriver or into the end of a small socket and then squish it onto the runaway part. The clay will conform to the shape of the piece and pick it up even if it is coated with oil. Course this only works if you can see where the errant part is as you have to be able to "stab" the clay onto it to pick it up. 

Good deal. glad you were able to get it out.

A little trick to retrieving non-magnetic things out of places they should not be is to make a small ball out of a piece of clay. Squish it onto a screwdriver or into the end of a small socket and then squish it onto the runaway part. The clay will conform to the shape of the piece and pick it up even if it is coated with oil. Course this only works if you can see where the errant part is as you have to be able to "stab" the clay onto it to pick it up. 

The problem with doing that is if you lose the clay, it's now in your engine too.   Grease works in a similar manner though and won't cause any harm to the engine if you drop somel.  You can also use tape which can be affixed much better to the screwdriver.

Great suggestions, will make a mental note of them but hopefully never have to make use of them in the future