Any real info on the '16 WR 450 yet?

Nonsense.  Leftovers are the dealer's problem, not Yamaha's.  The new models come out every year on schedule regardless of how many 1, 2, or 3 year-old models are still hanging around.  When I bought my son's '06, I was offered a "screaming deal" on an '02 426, still in the crate.

Dealers do not 'buy' the bikes. They are 'floored' ( lease/loan) , through the manufactuer.

Some manufactuers take the bikes back from slow dealers, and ship them to better markets.

Some manf give the dealer a huge cost reduction to buy them outright, when they become 'stale'.

If they owned the bikes outright, there would be no rebates, markdowns or close-outs, as the margin at the dealer level is not anywhere big enough.

I'm well aware of the fact that dealers floor their stock under a variety of different plans.  However, once shipped, they "belong" to the dealers, and if they don't sell, it remains the dealer's responsibility to work out what to do with them, as they have at that point been legally transferred.  It amounts to a "sale", and it's final, subject to subsequent arrangements that may or may not occur. 

In any case, it's a red herring, because it still has no bearing whatsoever on new model release schedules set by the factory.  

I'm well aware of the fact that dealers floor their stock under a variety of different plans.  However, once shipped, they "belong" to the dealers, and if they don't sell, it remains the dealer's responsibility to work out what to do with them, as they have at that point been legally transferred.  It amounts to a "sale", and it's final, subject to subsequent arrangements that may or may not occur. 

In any case, it's a red herring, because it still has no bearing whatsoever on new model release schedules set by the factory.  

Absolutely ^.  The original statement was absurd, and to quote, "it's as simple as that".  

fine

finally...

5 gears?????