Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Racer577

Ground clearance issues on track

8 posts in this topic

I ran my 426 on the race track for the 2nd time this weekend, but I found that I ran out of ground clearance fairly quickly. I almost had several high sides when the pegs hit the ground so hard that the rear tire lost traction. Has anyone found a solution? I am running 4" shorter suspension with stock wheels, Conti pro dual sport on the front and a goodyear DTII, CD5 on the rear.

John

Originally posted by Racer577:

I am running 4" shorter suspension with stock wheels, Conti pro dual sport on the front and a goodyear DTII, CD5 on the rear.

John

^This is your problem^

Did I miss something? How can you lower the suspension by 4" just by changing tires? I've never measured but I don't believe that the stock Dunlops have that much profile. Betty needs another slap.

Originally posted by Boit:

Did I miss something? How can you lower the suspension by 4" just by changing tires? I've never measured but I don't believe that the stock Dunlops have that much profile. Betty needs another slap.

I *think* he means he has lowered the SUSPENSION travel 4"...as in modified...of course tires on stock rims can't drop it 4 inches!

:):D

It sounds like you're not riding MX but you're riding onroad or dirt track (I'm not familiar with the tires that you mention so I'm guessing). Is this the case? I wonder if a suspension shop would be able to help you stiffen it up enough to prevent the problem but without making it harsh?

I was at the road race track. I have two sets of suspension, one for the woods and a shorter/stiffer set for ice racing, road racing, Pikes peak hill climb. If you want to see photos of the bike on a road race track www.12pointracing.com in the gallery section. aside from loosing ground on the straights we could catch slower R6's in the twisty stuff. I measured my road racer and it is narrower and taller to the pegs than the YZ so I will probably have to cut down some pegs or raise the bike back up some to keep from dragging.

He sounds like a roundy round flat tracker. He may need to unlower the suspension a bit, or stiffen it, or raise the footpegs.