Starter motor?

Hey guys I have all the must have mods done to my 12 wr 450 and also had the co set by my dealer and the bike was a breeze to start with the button for about a year, now recently I pretty well have to kick start my bike in every scenario and nothing else has been changed. Is my starter motor getting weak? What else can you guys think of?

The starter relay tends to go bad on the WR's.  Bypass the relay to check the quality of the starter.  If it still good, then your relay is going bad.

How fast is the starter suppose to spin the motor? Last time I had my FI tool hooked up to the bike, I noticed that the starter motor would only spin the motor to about 600 rpm. Not sure how fast it's suppose to spin, but I thought it would have been faster. My bike is hard to start when warm, but with my latest adjustments will start right up when in neutral.

Make sure your battery is good. It may seem good, but only a very good battery will start these bikes.

Never heard of the relay going bad either they work or they don't. Put a Lithium battery in there and be done.

Never heard of the relay going bad either they work or they don't. Put a Lithium battery in there and be done.

I have 8 WRs from 2003 up and only once has a relay failed and it happened to be on my oldest and

most heavily used bike.   So 11 years and probably 30,000 miles before a failure.   That is a lot of starts.

It was a misleading failure--   it still clicked but no action from the starter.    Might lead you to believe the

starter motor is at fault but jumping a tool across the two 8mm bolts on the relay will tell you if it is the problem

or not. 

+1 on the lithium battery.    I put a shorai in my main WR a few years ago and it has worked great.  

Try one and you will never want another lead-acid battery.

all the above and check voltage at starter when you push the button to make sure you getting all the juice.  also check connections.  I had a similar problem with my KTM turned out a couple of wires developed some corrosion which resulted in a voltage drop to the starter. 

I would say the number 1 reason for bad starting action is a bad battery, and number 2 is a dirty harness or ground.

The stock battery is only 9ah, and only for about the first 100 starts. After that it's amperage drops quickly.

Shorai recomends a 12ah battery as a MINIMUM for best starting.

If I were to order a shorai is there a part number for replacement fit for our bikes ?

If I were to order a shorai is there a part number for replacement fit for our bikes ?

Go to their site and enter your bike info