Really poor fuel economy/range. FI WRs and YZ450s.

Hi guys.

I've noticed that my 2012 WR uses fuel at an astonishing rate on tight trails.  I have disconnected my low fuel indicator, but there isn't much left in the tank at the end of a 25 mile ride.

Another guy in our group is riding a 2014 YZ450F.  The tank sizes are nearly the same.  He measured 1 liter left in his tank at the end of a 30 mile ride.

We are riding tight, technical woods.  Most commonly we are in 2nd gear zipping between trees.  When it opens up we are in 3rd gear.  Almost no 4th or 5th unless we are on logging roads.  There are several big, tough hills on every ride.  My GPS shows our average moving speed to be between 10 and 16 MPH, depending on the trail and conditions.  This isn't GNCC terrain !

The other rider and myself are pretty aggressive with the throttle.  When I'm on my game, I'm accelerating out of every turn and braking before the next.  Pretty smooth, but not lazy. 

The other rider and myself are both big. 220 pounds.

We are both running stock maps.  I've richened my idle mixture.

Is anyone else experiencing this sort of fuel consumption ?

How much difference would a non stock map make to fuel consumption ?

What are my options for carrying more fuel, aside from a really big, expensive aftermarket tank ?

You should be getting 60 miles on the stock tank.

You probably are leaking fuel into the crankcase due to a dirty injector nozzle not closing all the way..........

If you have never serviced the FI system from top to bottom, that is the problem.

Nope, no fuel leaking into the oil.  It's due for a change (10 hours) and the level is right on. And I checked it last fall. 

Both my WR and the YZ are getting about the same mileage. 

Both machines run really well too.  No stutters or hickups.  Lots of power.  300XCs feel meek after riding one of our 450s.  Maybe all that power and throttle response burns a lot of fuel ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I have a 2011 YZ 450 running the "slippery conditions" map that leans the fuel off idle to make the throttle response smoother and will also improve economy where we trail riders spend most of our riding time. With the IMS 2.4 gallon tank I've done 70 miles days consisting of mostly single track spread out over 6 hours of the day. A lot of elevation change on those days too. If you're burning 2 gallons in 30 miles something's wrong. Even my Aprilia RXV550 would do better than that and it drinks gasoline faster than a two stroke. I would look to alter the mapping and see if you can't improve your economy there. There's no reason your WR should consume more fuel than my YZ. I weigh 250-260 fully dressed to ride.

I have a WR450 and get 70+ miles on my tank 1.9 gallon with a rich fuel map, full system, uncorked. No matter if I'm on it or just riding it's always just about the same.

I would for sure say something is wrong, not sure what it is but I would defiantly look into it. I'm curious to know what it is, keep us informed.

Its your gearing in combo with the tight woods. Add some climbing and sand its even worse. I upped my cc to 14 just to squeeze as much out as i can. Out of all my buddies rides. Cr. exc. kx. The wr is the worst for mpg. Wouldnt trade for nothing. Love the snappy power. Adjusting the maps seems to do very little. Always between 30-35.

• Like 1

2012 WR here and mine is not much better.  Most all desert riding and it does not seem to matter that much what map I run.  Stock tank usually gets me about 31-35 miles before the low fuel light comes on.  I seem to have about another half gallon after that.  So yes, it's pretty crappy mileage and that's just goofing around with my 14 year old son, although we do get into some soft washes at times, although most of the riding is on harder pack.  The power is crazy fun, but there is a price to pay.