yz400f stripped drain plug hole

whats the fix for a stripped drain plug hole on a yz400? i originaly thought helicoil untill i looked up in the hole. the threads are notched on one side im guessing to let the oil flow out?

The single best fix for a stripped drain plug is a Time-Sert.  They're far better suited to the job than a Heli-Coil is, and actually easier to install in some ways (no drive tang to deal with, for one).

The notches are not important. 

have you ever done one while the engine is still in the bike or is it best to take it out? would i need to split the cases or just be carefull about the shavings?

My brother has the same problem with his 06 yzf450

have you ever done one while the engine is still in the bike or is it best to take it out? would i need to split the cases or just be carefull about the shavings?

Only done one where it was not in the bike.  If a drill is needed, use a piece of tubing over the bit to limit how deep it can go and grease the point of the bit so it will gather u its own chips.  Also grease the tap you use to prep the threads for the insert.  There are screens in the way of any left over chips getting into the works, and if you're careful, there will be hardly any at all, anyway.