Fix for 2016 YZ450F off-set

Yamaha has released the 2016 YZ450F with a 25mm off-set. Based on testing in the U.S. and Europe, the bike handles better with either a 20mm or 22mm off-set. The recommendation is to revert back to the 22mm 2014-15 clamp system or switch to the 20-22mm adjustable off-set XTRIG ROCS system. I would assume that RIDE Engineering and others will also be releasing a fix shortly. 

OEM 

The 22mm upper clamp is part number 1SL-23435-00-00. Available at Rocky Mountain ATV for $123.19

The 22mm lower clamp is part number 33D-23340-00-00. Available at Rocky Mountain ATV for $402.15.

LINK: Rocky Mountain Parts Schematic

Note: ThumperTalk is currently not showing parts for 2014 thru 2016 Yamahas.

Note: The bar clamps are interchangeable between the 2015 and 2016.

Note: The 2016 YZ250F and YZ250FX are not effected by this problem. 

XTRIG

The XTRIG ROCS clamp is a 20-22mm system, available for 22 or 28mm bars, flex or rigid mount. 

LINK: XTRIG 20-22mm 2016 YZ450F ROCS

Additional Details and Test Rider Input on the 25mm offset

First Ride 2016 YZ450F - Dirt Rider Magazine 

Transworld MX First Test - Input from Rich Taylor

VITAL MX - First Impressions - Users

Edited by DaveJ
  • Like 2

Do you have a 16' ?

I've been on an orange bike for quite some time and considering switching to a new 450.  Curious on the offset change for high speed stability in the desert, and mountain single track.  Plenty of dealers with 14's and 15's leftover.

NP

Edited by neipie

Yamaha has released the 2016 YZ450F with a 25mm off-set. Based on testing in the U.S. and Europe, the bike handles better with either a 20mm or 22mm off-set. The recommendation is to revert back to the 22mm 2014-15 clamp system or switch to the 20-22mm adjustable off-set XTRIG ROCS system. I would assume that RIDE Engineering and others will also be releasing a fix shortly. 

OEM 

The 22mm upper clamp is part number 1SL-23435-00-00. Available at Rocky Mountain ATV for $123.19

The 22mm lower clamp is part number 33D-23340-00-00. Available at Rocky Mountain ATV for $402.15.

LINK: Rocky Mountain Parts Schematic

Note: ThumperTalk is currently not showing parts for 2014 thru 2016 Yamahas.

Note: The bar clamps are interchangeable between the 2015 and 2016.

Note: The 2016 YZ250F and YZ250FX are not effected by this problem. 

XTRIG

The XTRIG ROCS clamp is a 20-22mm system, available for 22 or 28mm bars, flex or rigid mount. 

LINK: XTRIG 20-22mm 2016 YZ450F ROCS

Additional Details and Test Rider Input on the 25mm offset

First Ride 2016 YZ450F - Dirt Rider Magazine 

Transworld MX First Test - Input from Rich Taylor

VITAL MX - First Impressions - Users

Seemed like a strange move but  what do I know?

Do you have a 16' ?

I've been on an orange bike for quite some time and considering switching to a new 450.  Curious on the offset change for high speed stability in the desert, and mountain single track.  Plenty of dealers with 14's and 15's leftover.

NP

We have one sitting in the shop at the moment, zero hours, that will never see dirt. It's going to be in tiny little pieces in the next few days, but I will most likely not be swinging a leg over one for at least another week or so.

Bottom line...everything chassis and suspension comes with a compromise. 25mm off set will work better for some applications, and a 20 or 22 will work better for others. Adjustability will always be key, hence the beauty of the XTRIG.

I'm working with some guys over the next month that will help to shed some more light on the 25 vs 22 vs 20 debate.

Lastly, keep in mind that well behaving bikes are created from comprehensive designs. The answers are in the details and any set-up is only as fast as its weakest link. In other words, no offset setting will ever make up for fork or shock that is not tuned correctly.

Hope this helps.

Going from 22 to 20 wasnt right direction at euro tracks and this been confirmed also by many GP/top race teams..

Seems little early to fix and call problem something that you havent even test yet?

Will be testing next weekend new one with 25mm so then we will see. 

Going from 22 to 20 wasnt right direction at euro tracks and this been confirmed also by many GP/top race teams..

Seems little early to fix and call problem something that you havent even test yet?

This is my gut feeling as well.  I have my 2014 working fairly well with the stock clamps and a longer link.  If anything, my feeling was to try a set of 23mm or 25mm clamps.  Now seeing the 2016 equipped with those 25mm, I just might do some testing. 

This is my gut feeling as well.  I have my 2014 working fairly well with the stock clamps and a longer link.  If anything, my feeling was to try a set of 23mm or 25mm clamps.  Now seeing the 2016 equipped with those 25mm, I just might do some testing. 

What type terrain do you ride most?

We aren't in Europe. KTM tried this years ago offering euro setting to Americas and clearly that didn't work. People just weren't buying the bikes. Happily they have developed NA settings and offered what NA people are buying. Try sellong the crappy 4spd on the euro KTMs and let me know how sales go... Edited by Monk

What type terrain do you ride most?

I race motocross tracks all over the Northwest USA.  I see most kinds of soil conditions including hard-pack and glacial till, clay, volcanic ash, sand & one track has a light, silty topsoil.

Here's one track I ride quite often for MX practice, it's an intermediate mix of clay with a bit of sand and a lot of small rocks.  They prep it very well and have added in some wood chip to prevent it from packing in as hard:

https://youtu.be/NGgDJdMRRmo

Edited by cwtoyota

One thing that you are all forgetting to mention is yamaha went to a 25mm offset because they changed the length of the swing arm and other chassis settings. The same guys who tested and loved the 15's said the 16 handling is barely noticeable. Simply reading a magazine review doesn't mean anything, nether do the reviews of pro race teams. I have a 15 and set the sag at the standard 105 and hated the handling of the bike. I went with the oem recommended 90-100mm of sag, and the bike is awesome. I race vet int/exp. I think the times of needing offset clamps for the yzf's is over. You can get the stock stuff to work how you want it

Edited by guntoter535

One thing that you are all forgetting to mention is yamaha went to a 25mm offset because they changed the length of the swing arm and other chassis settings. The same guys who tested and loved the 15's said the 16 handling is barely noticeable. Simply reading a magazine review doesn't mean anything, nether do the reviews of pro race teams. I have a 15 and set the sag at the standard 105 and hated the handling of the bike. I went with the oem recommended 90-100mm of sag, and the bike is awesome. I race vet int/exp. I think the times of needing offset clamps for the yzf's is over. You can get the stock stuff to work how you want it

Where did you get that they changed the swing arm length?

As far as I can tell, the swing arm length did not change from the '14 model through the '16 model.  I just confirmed the part numbers, they are identical swing arms.

Yamaha simply switched to a lower spring-rate for 2016 which effectively lowers the rear end of the bike when in motion.  Lowering the ride height in the rear effectively increases rake angle and thus trail if all other settings are left equal.

So Yamaha switched from a 22mm offset clamp to 25mm offset clamp in order to bring the trail closer to where it was on the 14 and 15 model of the bike.

The change that effected the swing arm was a frame change.  The press info says Yamaha beefed up the forged portion of the frame at the swing arm pivot to increase rigidity at the back end of the bike.

Checking the part numbers, the swingarm is still the same along with the linkage and every other part of the rear arm