2014 yz450f worn connecting rod

2014 yz450f

58 hours

Hey guys was chasing a new knock/raddle and found a minimal amount of play in the piston pin end of my connecting rod, I've looked in the service Manuel and as far as I can tell they don't list the specification, piston pin is in specs oil change every 2-3 hours, only used yamalube and filters.

Found a rough surface on the pin and connecting rod.

Just looking for some reassurance before I order a crank and piston ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440042707.161464.jpg

Just had a total rebuild on my 14 for a rod failure at 27 hours. It occurred at the small end. The bike started making a ticking/knocking noise and my friends thought I was crazy and I thought I was too, sure enough the rod broke and took out the entire motor. Yamaha graciously covered parts (equating to around $4000) based on the relatively low hours of the motor and overall condition of the bike. I would say replace and if 15 shows a new part number that would be a good decision.

I'm going to call Yamaha se if they won't do anything, my dealer is willing to give me a good deal on the parts I need but I bough a new bike knowing I didn't need to split the case for at-least 3 years,

That is exactly my thoughts every time I purchase a Yamaha is that I don't have to mess with high dollar maintenance for a long time. That's why I called my shop the Monday after I blew it up at practice. I would try your hardest to get it covered. I still have the warranty receipt somewhere so I will find and maybe pm you any important transaction number that may help with their research in showing that this is a defective part. I thought mine was a fluke and I never ended up posting my failureImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440088384.690821.jpg
  • Like 1

I pm'd you. Unfortunately I just got off the phone with my shop and the service tech, who helped me get it covered, is unable to give out that information (the specific warranty number). However I am going to send you pictures of my receipt with parts, description, and resolution for your shop to mull over. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

2014 yz450f

58 hours

Hey guys was chasing a new knock/raddle and found a minimal amount of play in the piston pin end of my connecting rod, I've looked in the service Manuel and as far as I can tell they don't list the specification, piston pin is in specs oil change every 2-3 hours, only used yamalube and filters.

Found a rough surface on the pin and connecting rod.

Just looking for some reassurance before I order a crank and piston 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440042707.161464.jpg

Not trying to point fingers or anything but what oil were you using and how frequently did you change it? I replaced my piston last year at 111 hours and the wrist pin looked perfect...

Not trying to point fingers or anything but what oil were you using and how frequently did you change it? I replaced my piston last year at 111 hours and the wrist pin looked perfect...

The post you quoted states both items you were asking...
  • Like 1

this is a bummer.  I am riding a Honda currently with tranny problems and tired of dealing with the out of norm maintenance on the bike so I am looking to buy a yz450 because its supposed to be the most reliable, minimal maintenance kind of bike.  what steered me to the yz 450 is I have an 06 yz 250f that I regularly flog and cannot seem to break it (I have tried) which is why I was looking at a new 450.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got all the parts to rebuild my bike plus some,

Crank

Piston pin

New piston

Circlips

Cam chain

All gaskets

Gytr oil nozzle

I'm not sure if the oil nozzle will do anything but I figured if they use it for high compression it must do something, it has 2 leak holes vs the standard 1,

I paid for the extra items and there going to let me know if the crank issue will be warranty,

Anyone se the yxz1000r ? Totally In love lol

Edited by DanielMerrick

Glad to hear you're getting your bike back together. I also did the oil squirter while I was in there. Seemed like a good idea. I had people wondering if it was detonation that caused the problem with my bike as well. I hope this wasn't the cause because I haven't changed anything since.