Weird front sprocket wear

Hi

I managed to wear out a front sprocket in +/- 600km.  This seems very excessive even though I like caning the bike - 05 WR450.

This sprocket looks to have the same wear as the set I replaced.  The inside, motor side of the sprocket is very deeply worn, while the outside looks fine.  I checked to see if there are any shim washers in the manual, but see none. ( In case the rear is slightly offset. )

I also replaced the chain adjuster blocks after the last chain set.  The chain looks straight when fitted.

Any ideas?

p.s.  I should have taken photos, I know :banghead:

Sounds like chain alignment is out possibly due to rear wheel alignment.

I get 3k miles out of front sprockets and thats all off road use

Edited by GuyGraham

Sounds like chain alignment is out possibly due to rear wheel alignment.

I get 3k miles out of front sprockets and thats all off road use

So no front sprocket spacer.  Dang.  Does that mean the swing arm is bent or should I find a better way of checking the rear wheel alignment?

motion pro chain sight alignment tool

motion pro chain sight alignment tool

Thanks.  I am checking it out.

if you have two different colored wheel spacers check to see if they are not on t wrong side

if you have two different colored wheel spacers check to see if they are not on t wrong side

I am not to sure what you are referring to?

I am not to sure what you are referring to?

He's talking about the rear wheel spacers. 

I thought so, but the parts fiche shows the same part number both sides.

I dug through the scrap metal to get the sprocket to show to a buddy.  I found another friends VTR1000 front sprocket from a set I helped replace a while back.  It had the same one sided wear pattern.  i am now thinking it must have something to do with the torque effect.

Maybe also check your swing arm bearings .