LED headlight options

Any suggestions for an LED headlight for my 03 WR450? I also have an 07 headlight I was thinking of installing but the mount spacing is a little off and it appears to use a funny bulb.

Any suggestions for an LED headlight for my 03 WR450? I also have an 07 headlight I was thinking of installing but the mount spacing is a little off and it appears to use a funny bulb.

I have tried this one and had good results:

http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-led-headlight/

A bit pricey compared to a regular bulb but even if you spent the same money on a pile of regular bulbs this one will still outlast all of them all by far

I have a wr and it works fine with 0 mods. If you think a minature fan inside the heat sink is a problem, trail tech should discontinue the cooling fan for the wr thats fully exposed to the elements.

apples & oranges

a cooling fan for a radiator is a bit more robust than the tiny fan inside of the heat sink.   I can imagine getting a bunch of mud in there isn't going to do it much

good, whereas a radiator fan isn't too bothered by it.

The description for the cyclops very clearly says it is DC only and requires the rectifier for operation on machines that have AC lighting circuits.

So either you wired your lights directly to your battery, or just slammed it in there with no changes and it just happens to light up but it isn't the right way to

do it.

20$ extra. Watch out

What is that supposed to mean?    You don't think $65 is enough for one headlight bulb for a dirtbike?    Let's make it $85 and sing happy songs?

2012+ are full DC output.  The bulbs with the fans seem to put out more lumens.  They have a video of one running in a glass of water.  Mud probably wouldn't be good.  If you have a lot of mud caked behind your headlight shroud you might want one without a fan.

• Like 1

That is a good point about the 2012+ bikes but the OP said he is working with a 2003 WR450 so that

would be AC unless the stator has been changed or modified. msawyer didn't say what year his was.

The cyclops bulb with the fan does put out more lumens, but simpler is better in my opinion. Less

moving parts is always a good thing. If that little fan fails when do you find it out? When the

bulb overheats and dies? I looked at both brands and decided to take the hit on lumen output and

go with the advmonster bulb which is less complicated and in theory should be more reliable on a

dirt bike.

That is a good point about the 2012+ bikes but the OP said he is working with a 2003 WR450 so that

would be AC unless the stator has been changed or modified. msawyer didn't say what year his was.

The cyclops bulb with the fan does put out more lumens, but simpler is better in my opinion. Less

moving parts is always a good thing. If that little fan fails when do you find it out? When the

bulb overheats and dies? I looked at both brands and decided to take the hit on lumen output and

go with the advmonster bulb which is less complicated and in theory should be more reliable on a

dirt bike.

Correct you need DC to run the fan and for led to work properly and at full power in the first place.  I have run a similar bulb on my WR (2012) for some time now.  The fan is a non issue and seems reliable.  If you don't care for the fan you can also find bulbs like these that have a pair of braided metal straps  that act as heat sinks and replace the fan, but it seems a little hokey to me as long as the fan seems to work fine. If his '03 has not had a stator upgrade with a floated ground, he may not have enough juice to power a 40w bulb off the battery.  Seems I recall those bikes only sending about 20 or so watts of dc charge to the battery and the rest as ac to the headlight.  Pretty sure that was the stock breakdown for my '08.

As stated, Cyclops LED 3600 Lumen Bulb.  Absolutely love mine.  Ive done numerous night races with just this headlight (and some with thier helmet light also) and its just amazing.  Constantly asked at the races what im running because its in the stock housing.

Why be worried about a fan on the bulb, cyclops has vids of the bulbs and fans working fully submerged in water.  Those bulbs are tough and cyclops has great customer service.   $80 for the bulb and rectifier isnt all that bad at all when its easily 4 times brighter than the stock bulb.  

Here is a vid I made to show how well the lights work.  I think I might have some racing vids with the bulb as well

Edited by JMundy
  • Like 1

Well said fellas. Btw its physically impossible to get mud all the way behind the light and since the heatsink is pretty damn close to the frame. I think is safe to say unless you physically found a way to shove a handful of mud back there i cannot even image that happening. Why not tape some wire mesh screen over the heatsink fan are. Problem solved lol. The cyclops freaking dominates. Their little heat demonstration is impressive also. I think it ran like 150° cooler than an h4. Even if the fan did break it still has the same heatsink that most led's do. And yes i meant an extra 20$ should not be a concern when getting 4x the light and 30x the bulb life. No brainer

As stated, Cyclops LED 3600 Lumen Bulb.  Absolutely love mine.  Ive done numerous night races with just this headlight (and some with thier helmet light also) and its just amazing.  Constantly asked at the races what im running because its in the stock housing.

Why be worried about a fan on the bulb, cyclops has vids of the bulbs and fans working fully submerged in water.  Those bulbs are tough and cyclops has great customer service.   $80 for the bulb and rectifier isnt all that bad at all when its easily 4 times brighter than the stock bulb.  

Here is a vid I made to show how well the lights work.  I think I might have some racing vids with the bulb as well

Okay boys did you both have to space the light housing out to fit the extended rear heat sink of the bulb. Also the 07 WR450 is not a H4 bulb as I remember. However the 12+ is.

Okay boys did you both have to space the light housing out to fit the extended rear heat sink of the bulb. Also the 07 WR450 is not a H4 bulb as I remember. However the 12+ is.

The cyclops came with a few different adapters for which base it connects with. IIRC, it's a H6m or H6 for the WR.

On my bike for some reason the extended back does lightly touch at full lock. Cyclops owner said he had not heard of that before. I did make an extension bracket to push the headlight / front number plate forward. Just a half inch long flat metal to extend the bolt point on top and it fixed the rubbing. But I bent one in a wreck after doing that for a few months so I just took them off and haven't had an issue with it touching for the last year. Just slight rub marks on the housing. The light has a spring to push tension when it's in the housing so just when it touches at lock it just pushes in the spring

• Like 1

On my '12 it was plug and play, not even close to anything back there as I remember, but yes it was an H4 bulb.  You know, a really good quality headlight that uses an H4 bulb is the Baja Designs standard headlight. It's pricey at around $100 but there is plenty of room and has great optics.  They also have a fork clamp style mount for it to replace the rubber straps if you like that makes it super solid and spaces it out a bit more. I've used a number of those  lights for HID conversions.

WR450 03'

5V2-84314-00-XX

BULB (12V 60/55W HALOGEN) | (H4) HALOGEN (Stock OEM Bulb)

cyclops-3800.jpg

New and improved. Brighter (3800 Lumens), better low/high beam contrast, smaller, lower Kelvin color temperature (5500K), replaceable drivers and easier to install. All of these features and the most reliable LED bulb currently available. It only draws 20 watts.

This bulb fits H4 bases only, has Cree XML2 emitters and is fan cooled for extreme conditions. Further features include vibration proof and water-resistance, even complete submersion.

This unit does require DC power or a rectifier. $64.95

https://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

Edited by EarthCruzn

On my '12 it was plug and play, not even close to anything back there as I remember, but yes it was an H4 bulb.  You know, a really good quality headlight that uses an H4 bulb is the Baja Designs standard headlight. It's pricey at around $100 but there is plenty of room and has great optics.  They also have a fork clamp style mount for it to replace the rubber straps if you like that makes it super solid and spaces it out a bit more. I've used a number of those  lights for HID conversions.

Geez couldn't use the Baja designs headlight shell it's bug frugly.