2012 Oil level

The 2012 WR has a dip stick and a oil level screw.  Which is correct?  The screw is on the magneto side of the engine on the main case below and to the rear of the mag cover.  When I checked the dip stick it showed a little low from full, but when I removed the oil level screw oil wanted to pour out.  I checked the dip stick as par the manual which is correct? 

I have a 2012 as well, and I would consider the dip stick to be the primary method of checking oil level. I always warm the motor and then put it on a work stand to check the oil with the bike on the level. The oil level screw is a secondary check to insure motor lubrication is occurring.

The 2012 WR has a dip stick and a oil level screw. Which is correct? The screw is on the magneto side of the engine on the main case below and to the rear of the mag cover. When I checked the dip stick it showed a little low from full, but when I removed the oil level screw oil wanted to pour out. I checked the dip stick as par the manual which is correct?

The 2012 WR has a dip stick and a oil level screw. Which is correct? The screw is on the magneto side of the engine on the main case below and to the rear of the mag cover. When I checked the dip stick it showed a little low from full, but when I removed the oil level screw oil wanted to pour out. I checked the dip stick as par the manual which is correct?

I as well own a 2012 450 . Now just think about it for a min ... What makes more sense- a dip stick that sits high , or a drain bolt sitting at the bottom of the engine... Gravity! Go with your dip stick - on a level surface, after you have had the motor running for a min or to . Kill the bike wait another min or to and check the dipstick . And jus to say - I'd hope oil would be poring out of the case bolt!

I pour a liter in if I change the filter, a quart if I don't.  I never check the oil.  I hate trying to screw in that plastic dipstick.

Drain it, add the right amount per the manual; no filter/filter/rebuild quantities are different.

Check a hot motor 1min after running for dipstick level.

The dipstick only shows 10% of the oil level, so when it is at the bottom, you have los/burned just under 10% of your oil.

You should be changing your oil faster than the level drops, IMHO.

I pour a liter in if I change the filter, a quart if I don't.  I never check the oil.  I hate trying to screw in that plastic dipstick.

:thumbsup:................... :thumbsup:  

Drain it, add the right amount per the manual; no filter/filter/rebuild quantities are different.

Check a hot motor 1min after running for dipstick level.

The dipstick only shows 10% of the oil level, so when it is at the bottom, you have los/burned just under 10% of your oil.

You should be changing your oil faster than the level drops, IMHO.

Agree, I change mine  ridiculously often, but still do check.  Keep in mind that these bikes do not have separate engine oil/tranny oil (not at all a bad thing in my book) so keep it clean.  I add 35-36 ounces of oil after a filter change and it pretty much nails it every time on the upper end of the dip stick level.  I can understand why some don't like checking the dip stick when the bike is hot though, I have burned my knuckles plenty of times......I'm not much of a glove guy.  I don't get the check bolt, have never used it.