Advice....clutch drag....

So bad gas was the culprit for my hard starts. A little seafoam in gas and starts great.

But....the stalling out....if i turn idle down is due to clutch drag!

I had it in gear....clutch pulled....and it started moving forward on a slight uphill. Thats when it started idling down and stalled out.

Tried again. If i revved...stopped dragging. I adjusted clutch. But it seemsni cant find a in between. Its either dragging or slipping under hard power.

I think i recall someone saying use only oem clutch plates somewhere. Just not sure if that applies to 450s.

Im thinkin plates. Any advice on what kind i should buy?

Clutch plates and a set of new clutch springs, so that they let the pressure plate lift straight. 

OEM clutch plates work vastly better than the bargain brand aftermarket ones.  Premium plates like Hinson work well too, but may be more expensive. 

With clutch drag, you also need to look at the condition of the basket and boss.  Excessively deep "notching" along the splines of the boss or the fingers of the basket can aggravate the condition.

The notched basket would make sense considering the power these things have.

My old cr500 18 years ago was notorious for shredding clutches.

Another question then. If i do have to replace clutch basket, plates and springs....would it not be better to just get a whole new aftermarket clutch setup? Hinson, etc?

Here in canada im looking at 250 for just the plates. Im guessing another 200 for basket.

At that point for another 200 i could go rekluse.

Edited by soulsedg3

The notched basket would make sense considering the power these things have.

My old cr500 18 years ago was notorious for shredding clutches.

Another question then. If i do have to replace clutch basket, plates and springs....would it not be better to just get a whole new aftermarket clutch setup? Hinson, etc?

Here in canada im looking at 250 for just the plates. Im guessing another 200 for basket.

At that point for another 200 i could go rekluse.

I have a very well and long ridden 07' WR450 that the clutch was dragging like crazy. I ended up with Hinson and I believe it drags less than the stock plates that were installed in my sons WR450. I didn't use the Hinson clutch springs in the kit as there were too heavy duty for my tastes. Never touched the clutch basket.

I would go first with the Hinson kit or do stock but don't do the Chinese aftermarket.

By the way it's likely just your steel plates are blue and warped.

Edited by stevethe

I didn't use the Hinson clutch springs in the kit as there were too heavy duty for my tastes.

Those are necessarily stiff. 

Use OEM plates.  Aftermarket clutch baskets like the Hinson are good investments, as they are less expensive than the OEM driven gear assembly, and the basket itself is a much more durable piece.  The Hinson boss, however, is about 4 times as expensive as the OEM part, and I don't see that much benefit in it compared to OEM, so if replacing that, stay with stock.

Clutch basket looks pretty hammered to my untrained eye.     And i'm not quite sure what to make of the clutch plates....as there are still thickness to em, and aren't flat.   going off memory, i remember they are only truly worn when they are near flat.   The metal clutch plate/spacers dont seem to have any grooves either.

here are some pics...

groove_zpsqwqrikif.jpg

unnamed%202_zpsigyjm41f.jpg

thickness_zpsa2otwkcj.jpg

unnamed%201_zps6a6m1otu.jpg

unnamed_zpspmlo0ia3.jpg

The basket is pretty bad.  Also of some concern is the wear on the face of the boss, as evidenced by the ledge on the plate face (arrow).

The clutch plates don't drag because they get thin, they drag because they aren't flat anymore.  The steels are probably most at fault, and you probably won't be able to pick one out as being very warped, but the set consists of 17 plates, and collectively, all the minor warping adds up.

groove_zpsqwqrikif.jpg

and here are some weird marks on just 2 of my clutch plates.  not sure if it's like a wear mark or not, and if it goes below this, they are bad?

and 3rd pic, shows a small little grove in faceplate.

unnamed%203_zpstxp2gdci.jpg

unnamed%204_zpsu5eys8so.jpg

unnamed%205_zpsjhabbpts.jpg

Edited by soulsedg3

The basket is pretty bad.  Also of some concern is the wear on the face of the boss, as evidenced by the ledge on the plate face (arrow).

The clutch plates don't drag because they get thin, they drag because they aren't flat anymore.  The steels are probably most at fault, and you probably won't be able to pick one out as being very warped, but the set consists of 17 plates, and collectively, all the minor warping adds up.

So what is your suggestion good sir?   based on what you see.....  

(i added two more pics above)

Edited by soulsedg3

New set of OEM plates, new OEM boss, and a aftermarket basket from Hinson, GYT-R, or Barnett. 

oddly enough i'm not finding any GYT-R baskets for 2003?   i see some for 2004/2005....

and if you had a choice between hinson for 346, and barnett for 283, which would you take?

Guessing oem springs as well?

Edited by soulsedg3

The '03 does in fact use a different basket.  The '04 aftermarket stuff won't fit because the hole pattern was changed to accommodate changes in the drive cushion design inside the gear assembly.  But you could replace the whole assembly with an OEM '04 basket/gear, too.  Not an '05, though; different gear ratio.

OEM springs.  $57 difference between Barnett and Hinson?  I doubt the Hinson is that much better.