Aftermarket Axle Blocks?

I was wondering what aftermarket axle blocks people are using or would recommend for a WR450 2007. I want to get some because I find it quite difficult visually getting the standard ones equal each side and then when I tighten the rear axle I find the blocks have moved slightly further forward despite the fact that I held the wheel forward when tightening the axle.

I have been looking at the ones by Bolt and the ones by Zip Ty. I quite like the look of the ones by Bolt because the area that holds the axle bolt flats seems to sit horizontally instead of vertically and possibly makes it easier to view the markings. They also come in blue and I'm not sure if the Zip Ty ones do. There is also of course the GYTR ones. Some of the other brands seem to have very few markings which would make adjusted difficult to get accurate.

There are some people we know coming over to the UK from the States soon so they can bring some over for me if I can work out which ones to get.

The trick to getting the wheel not to move when tightening the nut is to jam a rag in between the chain and the top of the rear sprocket, and rotate wheel backwards.

This tensions the chain and pulls the wheel forward onto the adjusting screws. Then whilst keeping force on the wheel tighten the wheel nut

Don't rely on the markings, they are notoriously inaccurate

Either use straighten edge (wood for example) to line up the wheel with the front, or do it visually by sighting along the chain

Its a one time exercise, as once done,  you then adjust it equally each side (count the number of flats on the adjuster bolt that you turn) whenever the chain needs adjusting and it will be in line

Seems like the swingarm squeezes together a little when you tighten the axle nut and it throws it off a little.  I like the ones from Bolt the best.  No need to put a rag in the chain with theirs.

I was wondering what aftermarket axle blocks people are using or would recommend for a WR450 2007.

I have been looking at the ones by Bolt

There are some people we know coming over to the UK from the States soon so they can bring some over for me if I can work out which ones to get.

I have the bolt adjusters on my 2008 wr450f, very good bits if kit and easy to use.

Apico imports them into the UK, your local bike shop should be able to get them in for you:

http://apico.co.uk/brands/bolt/

Or you can buy them from this UK shop:

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/bolt-billet-chain-adjuster-blocks-yamaha-black-p-32532.html

Thanks for the replies. The reason why I would prefer to get some new axle blocks is I find it very difficult getting things like chain tension exactly right. It takes me ages because I tighten too much then too loose then try to check alignment and go round in circles and I think if I had to measure and align in any other way I would take even longer, even though I know what your saying about doing it properly without reference to the blocks.

Is it the axle blocks that aren't always accurate or is it the markings on the actual swingarm as well? Is there any way to check the markings on the swingarm by measuring from some kind of central point? Also are the aftermarket axle blocks usually also inaccurate?

Interestingly I looked on the Bolt website and saw that the UK importer/distributor of the Bolt ones is Apico but when I looked on ebay at the Apico ones they looked different from the Bolt ones. The ones on the DirtBikeBitz website are the actual Bolt ones.

Interestingly I looked on the Bolt website and saw that the UK importer/distributor of the Bolt ones is Apico but when I looked on ebay at the Apico ones they looked different from the Bolt ones. The ones on the DirtBikeBitz website are the actual Bolt ones.

The Apico site just has examples of some of the products it imports and not the full range. As they are a trade supplier they don't supply direct to the public, hence not all products shown on their site.

The bolt adjusters do make it easy to adjust. Undo rear axle, adjust equally both sides and re-tighten rear axle. No lock nuts to undo and the adjusters don't side backwards like the originals do when the axle is loose.

Its the markings on the swingarm which are inaccurate

If you think about how many components make up the relationship between the rear wheel and front wheel, a build up of manufacturing tolerances can result in a big error between rear and front wheels even when the markings say it is inline

I put the GYTR blocks on every Yamaha  I buy.

I can see the marks easily on them.

When I get the adjusters where I want I put a screwdriver between the chain and the top of the sprocket and roll the wheel backwards until it pulls the axle blocks against the adjuster bolts.

Tighten up the axle nut and you're done.