The 150 Club

Well there is a 200 club so why not a 150 club?

This is for those of you who love your 150 as much as I do. I am 6'2 230 lbs without gear and I have a 2014 150 XC that I replaced my 300 XC-W with. I am no pro and not even a very good C- class rider. This bike fits the bill for just about any weekend warrior!

Here is a clip from an outing yesterday at Demon Run ATV Trails in Upstate NY.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/where-to-ride/locations/2064-demon-run-dirt-bike-and-atv-trails/

The camera does not do justice for the hills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9D3JZwUw0Q&feature=youtu.be

• Like 6

I've also got a '14 150, mine is an sx, drove 2.5 hours each way to pic it up, heck of a deal on it, $4000, with a pro circuit pipe. My 150 replaced an '07 200xc, and I'm much happier with the 150. I'm 5'10" 190lbs.

Racing a local XC series in VET class. I've added an IMS tank and bark busters. I set the X dimension to 1mm, and went from a 40 pilot jet to a 38 pilot, set the idle to 1500rpm, at 950ft.

I'm on the fence with getting a flywheel weight. I had a 9oz on my 200 and liked it, so was thinking maybe a 6oz on the 150, to help in the woods, but not be too big to take anything away from the 150's motor.

Edited by orangeone

I've also got a '14 150, mine is an sx, drove 2.5 hours each way to pic it up, heck of a deal on it, $4000, with a pro circuit pipe. My 150 replaced an '07 200xc, and I'm much happier with the 150. I'm 5'10" 190lbs.

Racing a local XC series in VET class. I've added an IMS tank and bark busters. I set the X dimension to 1mm, and went from a 40 pilot jet to a 38 pilot, set the idle to 1500rpm, at 950ft.

I'm on the fence with getting a flywheel weight. I had a 9oz on my 200 and liked it, so was thinking maybe a 6oz on the 150, to help in the woods, but not be too big to take anything away from the 150's motor.

Never rode a SX. How would you compare it to your 200 in the woods?

Never rode a SX. How would you compare it to your 200 in the woods?

I don't know if it was how I had tuned my 200 or what, but it was like a mountain goat and would climb anything, was fun to find obstacles that nobody thought they could do, and have a go at them.

It was good in the woods, had roll on power to get the front wheel over logs and ditches. Not sure how to word it but my 200 seemed like a bike you would take exploring, or on tight technical terrain.

The 150 in the same woods, and same xc tracks, is for me, a lot more smiles! I call it more racier.? If that makes sense. It seems shorter (seat height) and lighter. I have set sag on both bikes, so that setting shouldn't be the diff.

I like the way my 150 handles every where, more than the 200. I don't know if that has to do with linkage/non-linkage, or just newer geometry? My 200 didn't seem as stable at speed as my 150 does, I have a lot more confidence on 150.

I do not notice less power on the 150 from 200, just different power. I think with one being an '14sx and other an '07xc, they are just two different bikes. For me to choose between the two, I would go with the 150.

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up on aftermarket exhausts on the 150s:

A buddy of mine installed a FMF Fatty pipe and Powercore silencer on his 150 XC.

Honestly I was skeptical. After riding it I had to order the same for my 150 XC.

More power everywhere. Very noticeable.

Heads up on aftermarket exhausts on the 150s:

A buddy of mine installed a FMF Fatty pipe and Powercore silencer on his 150 XC.

Honestly I was skeptical. After riding it I had to order the same for my 150 XC.

More power everywhere. Very noticeable.

I agree, the same is true for the sx in my opinion. I changed my stock exhaust out for a PC platinum and an R-304 shorty and felt it was easier to find the power everywhere.

Did you change your jetting?

I didn't, stock was great. I used the jetting chart in the manual and other than occasionally tweaking the air screw it ran great.

Changed the first top end at around 35 hrs and the piston looked new still. I never had an issue with the bike for the 65 hrs or so I put on it. Still miss it....

Did you change your jetting?

I went with PC pipe, and still have stock silencer. After riding with stock jetting I ended up going to a 38 pilot jet, the rest of jetting is stock. I'm at 950' 80deg and 500%rh currently.

• 4 months later...

Looks like no one wants to keep the 150 club going?

Well I have a 150 now so I will.

After much agonizing I pick up a left over 14 SX my dealer had. I was waiting on the reports of the new 16's before deciding. Not that I heard anything bad about the 16's just the $2300 price difference between the 2. I'm not using the bike for mx either, it's going to be a harescramble bike i figured the 14 would be easier to set up with more accessories available.

After a couple of rides I'm very impressed with the motor. More bottom end and mid range torque than I thought it would have.

A big step up form my 13 125sx. It falls right between my 125 and 200. Once on the pipe wow. It moves.

I learned a lot tuning my 125 for a cleaner running of the pipe bike and the same seems to work on the 150. Like the 150xc

The smaller 36mm carb make a difference in off idle bottom end performance. Also added 2 teeth the the rear sprocket like the xc. My next step is getting the suspension revalved and resprung.

I'm going to have lots of fun on the bike and can't wait for next year racing season.

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 3

14 SX 150 ,coming off a 13 WR144. Had a great season finished 4th overall in Super Sr.

Got a turbo ring, FMF shorty and suspension by REP. The bike ran awesome all year. I did order a 2016 SX150 and it's due in December.

DSC_1488.jpg

Edited by slideleft

14 SX 150 ,coming off a 13 WR144. Had a great season finished 4th overall in Super Sr.

Got a turbo ring, FMF shorty and suspension by REP. The bike ran awesome all year. I did order a 2016 SX150 and it's due in December.

I'll be interested in how you're 16 compares to your 14. Most reviews I found on the 16 were mx based .
  • Like 1

Got a '14 sx 150

Came with some decent mods as it was an ex race bike.

-taper bored carb with milled slide

-porting work

-modified head

-Modded cases

Runs on pump gas

Suspension was setup just after I bought it with a revalve an respring

PHDS bar clamps

HGS full exhaust

Fmf fatty and fmf shorty

Stock silencer

Prefer the HGS but the stock silencer produces more torque as its longer. Really not a fan of the shorty tail pipe, makes it too much of a light switch, and doesn't rev as well.

Running 210 main 42 pilot.

Running castor 927 at 32:1

Bike will be upgraded this year as didn't have the money after buying the bike last year.

Bike has real smooth power, good amount of torque yet still pulls like a train and revs to 13,800 rpm.

Edited by DiRTADDICT 22

I'll be interested in how you're 16 compares to your 14. Most reviews I found on the 16 were mx based .

Mine will go out for suspension work and add a few bolt on upgrades with my favorite tire's Then its straight into the wood's. Really hoping this turns better than the 14, more like the Husky would be sweet.

Also using mine for woods racing, although this upcoming year we are going to try a series called "crossroads" it's a mix of woods, gp, and mx.

So everyone is liking the 36mm carb instead of the 38?

Also using mine for woods racing, although this upcoming year we are going to try a series called "crossroads" it's a mix of woods, gp, and mx.

So everyone is liking the 36mm carb instead of the 38?

Turbo ring

IMG_20150404_123249604.jpg