HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowxr

Broken Rear Spoke. Safe to ride?

5 posts in this topic

I just noticed I have a broken rear spoke. Is this safe to ride for the short term(100 miles)?

I tried to remove the spoke by turning the nipple but it turned both directions without coming out. How do you remove the spoke? And is it just a question of putting a new one in there?

i just went through this a couple weeks back on my xr400. on the rear wheel of our bikes there are two different sizes. the honda parts fiche won't tell which one is which so i ended up buying one of each part number. not expensive like $2 a pop. then you need a spoke wrench, the universal one is around $5. what you do is loosen and kind of undo the spoke that are in the way of inserting the new one, i had to do about 4 or 5. it is an easy just you just have to start it. if you hold the spoke in your left hand and a spoke nipple in your right, you turn the nipple clockwise to tighten, and all the spoke are like that. it simple but i always thought spoke were reverse threaded or were threaded different on both sides.

yeah, i'd say its safe, i probably did the last years LABtoV with that broken spoke

I thought it would be safe to ride with one broken spoke on my xr400 and the next thing I knew was another broke and another and another. At the end I had to replace like 6 of them. HOnda put them on for me for about 30 bucks. So it wasnt that big of a deal to put a new one on.

Good info. After sleeping on it, I plan on fixing it prior to my next ride. I'd hate to be 40 miles from the truck with a wheel coming apart.