Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gaz929

14 YZ450 Spongy front brake after titanium lever install

10 posts in this topic

Guys I've put a set of titanium levers on my bike "2014 YZ450" and now my front brake is spongy as hell, it will pull all the way to the grip! Where as before with the standard lever it didn't ?

Put the stocker back on and see what happens. 

Bleed your brakes?

I like to press firmly on the caliper forcing all the fluid (and any air) out and then pump up the system again. It usually makes the brakes nice and firm.

Edited by WouldsAssassin

I've heard of this happening on later model yz bikes and "cheaper" aftermarket levers to when the stock perch is reused.

Try what assassin said, if that works then it's the shinny new lever...

If not bleed away,

Cheers guys, I think I'm just going to bleed the system and put some fresh fluid in there as it's still the OEM stuff anyway.

There was a change in the master cylinder at the '08 model year that requires a different lever.  The symptoms of using the wrong one (early lever on a late master) are usually different in that case, but it's worth a close comparison of the way the levers contact the master cylinder plunger, just in case.

I changed my lever for ARC levers and had the same problem. When I installed the stock lever the problem went away. I also noticed it with a different aftermarket lever. I only run stock break lever on my bikes now!!!

Same thing! I installed Sunline MDX lever and my brake was too soft.. I did put the stock back, but still think it can be better

Edited by Quake

I'm just wondering, but why in the hell would anyone put titanium levers on their bike, to gain weight? Titanium is denser than the stock aluminum and im sure they weren't cheap!

Same thing! I installed Sunline MDX lever and my brake was too soft.. I did put the stock back, but still think it can be better

I just went through this with a set of late model CRF brakes using a Sunline V1 MDX lever.  The geometry on them is different and not really favorable for braking power.  Stock lever back on, back to really nice power.