YZ450FX IS ON IT'S WAY

But the suspension components...... :worthy:

TOLD. YOU. SO. !!!!

I don't understand why the 250FX and 450FX are so much heavier than their moto counterparts. This bike weighs 262lbs wet.

TOLD. YOU. SO.

My WR450F weighs less than 250 pounds wet.  Probably 248 ready to ride.

The 2015 WR250F weighed 258 pounds.  The 2016 YZ250FX weighs 249 pounds.  Ie, the WR lost 9 pounds going to the YZFX model.

The 2015 WR450F weighs 273 pounds.   The YZ450FX is going to lose about 10-11 pounds going to the YZ450FX model.  That puts it at 262-263 pounds.   Still a heavyweight pig. 

Was I on the money with the weight estimate or what !

I am really disappointed that it doesn't have a 6 speed transmission.   And the weight, of course.   But you can slim it down to a YZ weight in a hurry if you don't mind ditching the estart.  Whether or not you want to do that depends on how easily it stalls and how hard it is to start.

Really peaves me off that it also has the same 2.0 gallon tank that the YZ has.  What lasts longer, a moto or an all day ride in the backcountry ? Why have the same tank ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

When Dirt Rider only has a couple little paragraphs to write about a new bike, you know they are underwhelmed.  #missedopportunity

Was I on the money with the weight estimate or what !

I am really disappointed that it doesn't have a 6 speed transmission. And the weight, of course. But you can slim it down to a YZ weight in a hurry if you don't mind ditching the estart. Whether or not you want to do that depends on how easily it stalls and how hard it is to start.

Really peaves me off that it also has the same 2.0 gallon tank that the YZ has. What lasts longer, a moto or an all day ride in the backcountry ? Why have the same tank ?

Both FX models are exactly 18lbs heavier than their MX counterpart. I figure ditching the kickstand and going to a lighter battery would save like 7 or 8 pounds

Both FX models are exactly 18lbs heavier than their MX counterpart. I figure ditching the kickstand and going to a lighter battery would save like 7 or 8 pounds

Nope.  It is the same kickstand assembly that is used on the current WR450F.  The weight numbers are in my weight loss thread.  I think removing the stand and the mount loses 1.5 pounds.   Not sure what battery they are using in the FX, so I can't comment on the weight loss there.

If they used WR footpegs, you can lose 1/2 pound by replacing them with YZ footpegs.

The kickstand setup is about 1.5 pounds.

The eStart system on that bike will probably be about 8 pounds.

If its like the YZ250FX, they used mostly the WR exhaust system, so you can lose 2 pounds there.  It might also need the YZ exhaust cam so it isn't stall prone like the YZ250FX is.

The rear sprocket is steel.  Replacing it with aluminum saves 1 pound.

Total potential saving: 13 pounds.  That would get it down to 249 pounds, wet.   FWIW, the YZ450F kicks over very easy.  WRs kick over harder because the exhaust cam has less decompression so it works with the starter.

It looks like the YZ450FX uses the new style swing arm, so no way to save weight there.

I'm really disappointed that they used WR spec fork lowers (11.8 inches of travel) versus YZ (12.4 inches of travel.)  The whole fork is probably the

WR style which is a bit heavier due to thicker tube walls.

They probably used WR radiators which are larger and hold more water than YZ radiators.

The FX uses an O ring chain which weighs more, but is worth having.

The skid plate is about 1.2 pounds.

Not sure where the rest of the weight comes from.  A different/larger flywheel.  Larger regulator.  More wiring.  A protector for the rear brake disk.  If it is like the WR, there are probably a few extra mounting brackets on the frame.  It all adds up.

TOLD. YOU. SO. !!!!

TOLD. YOU. SO.

My WR450F weighs less than 250 pounds wet.  Probably 248 ready to ride.

You don't own a WR450F. You own a MLCG450.  Quit quoting numbers on your bastardized bike like it's relevant.

To give you some perspective

You don't own a WR450F. You own a MLCG450.  Quit quoting numbers on your bastardized bike like it's relevant.

If you want to ride a Yamaha 450F that actually handles well, it is totally relevant.  Are you going to pony up nearly $9G for a 262 pound bike ?  Or will you have a lighter orange bike in your garage ?

If you think the YZ450FX's weight was disappointing, the 2016 WR450F still weighs 271 pounds.  It lost a whole 2 pounds.

To give you some perspective

If you want to ride a Yamaha 450F that actually handles well, it is totally relevant.  Are you going to pony up nearly $9G for a 262 pound bike ?  Or will you have a lighter orange bike in your garage ?

I have a 272lb WRYZ450 now and it's light years better than the last 3 KTM's I've owned.

I don't put weight at the top of my priorities like you do. In fact I put several other factors way above it.

Static weight measurements are just ink on paper. They are not the primary determining factor of a motorcycles worth.

I ride fast rough terrain for 5 hours, 2.5 of that standing up, on the Yamaha, and the KTM was more tiring to ride fast for me by a large margin. The 21 less pounds do not make it better in and of itself. 

You keep selling your brand of crazy over and over and over again.

It's like you are trying to sell us on your vision, but you are so insecure about it you have to keep repeating it.

We get it.  Take parts off  and it gets lighter. Wow. 

On Friday I rode the 2016 KTM 250/350/450SXF's on a motocross track. 

They were all noticably better handling bikes than previous models.

They also had much better, and more agressive power than any previous models.

They are amazingly light.

They still have terrible and flexy forks, and have ergos small enough to make them in a class by themselves, size-wize.

They are difficult to sit/stand/sit on, and you still have to sit on the gascap to  turn them.

THE LOW WEIGHT DID NOT FIX THE SISTIMIC PROBLEMS WITH THE HANDLING.

...because it can't.

Only question for me is, is the backwards motor and more YZ style suspension worth the few hundreds (possibly thousands) on a new 14-15 model WR?

If it were 6speeds, no question. Any day of the week but, now it's hard to choose over the inevitable savings of run out stock.

Edited by SatansReverence

Only question for me is, is the backwards motor and more YZ style suspension worth the few hundreds (possibly thousands) on a new 14-15 model WR?

If it were 6speeds, no question. Any day of the week but, now it's hard to choose over the inevitable savings of run out stock.

The '12-15 already have the YZ style suspension.

The mass centralization and the newer generation motor ( in all respects ) I would say are worth more.

I see the current WR450F model selling for 6999, and if you are willing to pay shipping, I have seen 2013's and '14's for sale brand new for 5999 !

Not for me. The new WR is pretty much a 16' YZ450. Big difference. But it depends on what you do with your bike just fire roads etc.

The new WR is pretty much a 16' YZ450.

No more so than the current WRs are pretty much 2009 YZ450s with fuel injection.  They aren't.  Adding 25 pounds to a bike and softening the suspension and power really changes their character.

The posted weight on the 2016 YZ450FX is competitive for an E-start 450F with an 18" rear wheel. The WR 5 speed will be perfect since a 450F has plenty of power to pull any gaps. This is a well thought out machine and will be a great ride. :thumbsup:  :ride:

No more so than the current WRs are pretty much 2009 YZ450s with fuel injection.  They aren't.  Adding 25 pounds to a bike and softening the suspension and power really changes their character.

Hah you can't fool meee. No I won't remove the starter kick stand etc.

All the 250's are 6 speed, cause the YZ is 6speed

All the 450's will be 5 speed, because the YZ is 5 speed.

So now with this release does it make your decision on the BETA or YAMAHA that much tougher?

So now with this release does it make your decision on the BETA or YAMAHA that much tougher?

I was always going to get two bikes; a replacement dual sport and and an estart agressive off-road bike. 

Not necesarrily both at the same time...

I still like the idea of a BETA RRR for the dual sport ( I would get it plated myself).

If the 450FX is 'tame' it does make it harder.....though more of the work is done for me than with the WR, regarding the 'final tuning' bits.

I just want an e-start YZF.

I was always going to get two bikes; a replacement dual sport and and an estart agressive off-road bike.

Not necesarrily both at the same time...

I still like the idea of a BETA RRR for the dual sport ( I would get it plated myself).

If the 450FX is 'tame' it does make it harder.....though more of the work is done for me than with the WR, regarding the 'final tuning' bits.

I just want an e-start YZF.

I'm sure the 450FX is going to be close to the YZ, I would think. The 250FX is close to my 250f as far as power goes just a little tamer and not by much. Going out to ride a 250X tomorrow, kinda exited as the only 2t's that I have ridden are 150sx and 300xc. Who knows I might end up with a 450FX after its all said and done! Edited by jaybo769

I just read an article about the new models that implies the 450F and FX have less offset triple clamps than the WR, different (lighter) hubs, and different forks (probably flexier for more compliance).