Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Twistedwrench78

Used '04 yz450f

6 posts in this topic

I am getting back into dirt bikes after 15 or so years. I am looking to buy this bike, http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcy/5079163612.html, but was just curious if this is a decent price. I am going to look over it on Sunday and if it checks out I told the guy I would give 2100.00 for it since, that is bluebook retail price. In addition I was curious to know if there were any "quirks" or issues that I need to be aware of for this particular year/model. Any help is greatly appreciated.

"Never been raced" is something I generally avoid. Reason being is these bikes are designed to race and serious racers will keep their bikes maintained perfectly in order to have that advantage come race day. $2k isn't a terrible deal in the market where I'm at but you have the buying power of cash and therefore the advantage so if it doesn't feel right, walk away.

P.S.- When shopping used bikes its sometimes a good idea to look for as close to stock as possible. This means less chance of an amateur mechanic making mistakes and less things that you have to chase part numbers for if it fails.

Good luck!

With "tons of aftermarket goodies" ask them for the stock parts they removed. If those aren't available the aftermarket stuff was put on to repair a broken bike. Sure sign of rough use or poor maintenance.

With "tons of aftermarket goodies" ask them for the stock parts they removed. If those aren't available the aftermarket stuff was put on to repair a broken bike. Sure sign of rough use or poor maintenance.

Not necessarily.  The OEM stuff may simply have been sold or discarded.