Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bopper450

Which gearing?

7 posts in this topic

On my 2012 I ride all mountain terrain/ and also extremely tight and technical single track. I would like my first gear to be slower so I don't have to pull in the clutch so soon on gnarly descents. What gearing would a guy go to?

What gearing have you got now ? I have 13/50 on my bike and its not too bad but im thinking i might even go to 13/52 .

The stock gearing is not too bad, but for really tight stuff maybe one tooth smaller on the front (That way you dont need a new chain or anything to go back)

One tooth LARGER is awesome for a super motard or road riding applicatiom

Mike will break 100 mph with a 15T on the front

The stock gearing is not too bad, but for really tight stuff maybe one tooth smaller on the front (That way you dont need a new chain or anything to go back)

One tooth LARGER is awesome for a super motard or road riding applicatiom

Mike will break 100 mph with a 15T on the front

Agreed. His bike is a 2012 though might be a good time for a new chain too depending on wear. The stock chain is pretty good, though rocks beat mine up pretty fast.

Bob, noticed you are from Ma. whereabouts to you ride? I am up on the North Shore near the NH border.

It has the stock gearing, and ya it's just first gear I want to drop for when it's super technical

I highly recommend 12/50.  I installed 12/51 on my bike and 12/50 on 2 others.  It makes the bike so much easier to ride and versatile.   Makes 2nd and 3rd gear way better for climbing and running tight trails too.