The decibal level blues :-(

I was wondering if anyone knew what the stock dB level is for a 426... i ride at Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan. I just got me an 00' Yz426, but found out Silver Lake has a new dB level requirement of 94 max. They check at 2500 RPM.. 20 inches away from the rear of the pipe. Any info on whether the stock system would pass is greatly appreciated. And are there any cheap solutions to lower the dB level without giving an aftermarket company my arm and leg? Thanks in advance ?

I ride at Silver Lake also....

When they saw I had a 426, they immediately said, "I hope you have a 'Q' muffler, because that is the only one that will pass."

They were refering to a Power Core IV Q, which is exactly what I have. They said that the Q is the only muffler (as of Oct 2001) that would pass out there. It comes with a spark arrester.

When they saw I had a "Q", they didn't even sound test me.

Tim

What a great place to ride. A bunch of friends and I took the ride to Michigan from PA last summer. It was well worth it. When I was there they werent checking decible levels, but there was a sign saying they were gonna start. I was hoping they were just kidding, but guess not.

Check out this pic. Its from the last dune on the exit side. Thought I was gonna land on the bottom. What a drop!!

Nick

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: npuzajr ]

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: npuzajr ]

I dont know if your asking me that question or the other guys. I was only there for 3 days so I only got to ride in the dunes and a couple Nat. forests. There was a sign for a supercross race that we passed on the drive there. It wasnt too far from Detroit at ,I think, the State Fair Grounds. Wanted to race it but it was too far from where we were staying.

Nick

Silver Lake is a great place! Its so much fun, but i dont totally understand why they would need a dB level as low as 94. I mean what is the noise going to pollute? The sand? Its not like anyone can hear the machines. Oh well, just something i'll have to live with i guess.

Thumper4life... i noticed you are in Petersburg. There are a couple nice MX tracks in Swanton, Ohio. One called Zero gravity. And im sure you know about the indoor track they just built in Tecumseh, and then there is a track in Milan, MI. Any good areas to ride up around your neck of the woods Thumper4life? ?

Try to find a stock canister from a WR with the plug. It is really quite and after you get sound checked you can take the plug out. If you post a "wanted" message on the WR board you will probably get some responses.

Originally posted by BFLee:

Try to find a stock canister from a WR with the plug. It is really quite and after you get sound checked you can take the plug out. If you post a "wanted" message on the WR board you will probably get some responses.

That's a good idea! But, does the WR canister exceed 94 dB? Would it for sure fit on my pipe? And does it have a spark arrestor? Again, i really appreciate any info.

Originally posted by Ga426owner:

ACarter920, that is the issue as I see it. If it is just sand dunes in the middle of nowhere what is all the crap with inforcing a sound level there? Do all areas in Michican have the same decibel levels? This is what gets me. I understand under some instances, like a neighborhood or waking up Grizzly's during the winter, but this is a bunch of B.S. where you ride, in my opinion.....just a way to take more of your god given rights away & who is hurt from it?

Exactly, thats what i dont understand. There are no houses anywhere near Silver Lake riding area that would be affected... but yet, the other state park trails in Michigan (that pretty much run through some people's back yards) have no sound restrictions that i know of. That could be much more of a problem than a bunch of sand. The other thing that gets me is that they now require a spark arrestor at SL. Again, i can definately see a possible problem riding through the woods without a spark arrestor... but what the heck, last time i checked, sand wasnt flammable. Im sure they have their reasons for these ridiculous rules... but its way beyond me. When i go to SL i want to hear loud engines, and see fire breathing pipes. Thats what makes it fun. I have yet to see someone sitting in their rocking chair knitting and enjoying the "peace and quiet" in the middle of the sand dunes. If you dont like the noise then stay out of the ORV part of SL. Silver Lake is where you should see fast machines that shake the ground as they go by. That's what shooting the hills is all about!! My 2 cents...

?

ACarter920, that is the issue as I see it. If it is just sand dunes in the middle of nowhere what is all the crap with inforcing a sound level there? Do all areas in Michican have the same decibel levels? This is what gets me. I understand under some instances, like a neighborhood or waking up Grizzly's during the winter, but this is a bunch of B.S. where you ride, in my opinion.....just a way to take more of your god given rights away & who is hurt from it?

acarter920

I take it that you need a spark arrester to ride at Silver Lake. So...

I too did'nt want to give the after market companys my hard earned $$$ so I built a stainless mesh cone that fits into the discharge end of the stocker silencer. With just two attempts at getting the right amount of mesh surface to allow proper breathing I setteled on a length of 5.5 - 6 inches. After the cone was built it was spot welded into the inside of the pipe. The bike is quiet and spark arrested. ?

If you need more info. let me know.

Guys I'm not sure but I would be surprised if the stock pipe wouldn't pass at 2500 RPM. Look at the side it is stamped there what it is, and I'm pretty sure the stamped value was tested well above 2500 RPM, wait I will go out and look at mine. Okay duh I was wrong that was my other bike. Anyway, I think I would let them test it just to see. That's a tough limit, 94 db. I can tell you that you don't want a WB pipe like I have on mine, the neighbors a half mile away complain eheheh.

Ok, lets see if I can help out here. Yes WR canister will fit YZ, at least on my 02 it's a direct exchange. The WR guy's have been instaling YZ pipes for a long time so I assume earlier years will also. The WR canister with the baffle in is aprox 92db. The WR canister with the baffle out is noticebly louder than a stock YZ pipe, but is still spark arrested. Stock YZ pipe is aprox 102/103db. I too screwed around with making my own s/a, but Mr.Ranger wants to see that USFS aproval stamp on ole Mr. Sparky, or it's a huge (well maybe not huge, but big enough!) federal fine for you that will make you wish you spent your hard earned money on a s/a... Now for the facts. The noise issue is only the stick that the greenies are using right now. Even if we build a stealth bike, they will then scream tire erosion, next it will be you run over bunnies. Then you run over turtles, Blah, blah, blah.. You get the message. They don't want us or anybody else that doesn't see things their way out there at all! They don't want horse riders, snow mobile's, motorcycles, and lightning should strike you and burn you in hell if your a hunter. So our best protection from them is the average Joe/Jane citizen, which is for them not to think of us as those noisey destuctive dirt bikers. Positive public relations is our only hope. Join a club or get involved with fighting this crap through local and federal legislation. Since 911 they have gotten spanked about wanting to make citizens defensless (gun control) so they are focusing their energies and $$$$$$$ at other issues. When you guy's say: But it's out in the middle of nowhere! Remember, common sense has no application with these people!..IMHO

SoCal

First off b-bike, that is a great idea! But, i share the same problem as SoCalWR426... the dumb greenie weenies need that USFS approved stamp. And again i totally agree with SoCal, they dont have any common sense. It is a good idea to fight them through sensible means. As far as waiting to see if mine passes or not... its a 4 hour drive from here to Silver Lake, i dont really want to take that chance. But anyway, i think i will buy that WR canister and hope for the best.

I really appreciate all the info everyone has given me. I've never been on a message board that is this helpful! Usually i post a topic and just watch it sink down the list and into the vast expanse of old topic nothingness, but ive gotten more than enough help here. Keep up the good work!

hey acarter920,

sorry for not replyin sooner....but yea i ride at prosource and milan and delta all the time, but i havent rode zero gravity yet. there are good mx places to ride around here, my friend has a track that anyone can ride anytime they want, its sorta sx type, its really tore up right now though. and i have a neighbor with a very tight sx type track all clay though. my other neighbor has more of a mx type layout and its very nice, and i got my own motocross track made out of a 24 acre field :D we dug a huge pond and used the dirt for the track, its the best outta the 3 of my friends. maybe we can get together some time over the season and ride ?

T4Life... that would be awesome if we could get together sometime. My buddy that i ride with and I are always looking for new places to ride, or any place to ride for that matter. You gotta promise not to laugh though, heh... im very new at riding MX, especially on a thumper. Ive ridden a few tracks on my 125, but never a 4-stroke. Just from real small jumps ive been on it seems like they are pretty stable in the air though. When do you guys usually ride?