06 WR450 - Coolant on Oil Filter Bolt

Hey folks-  

Wanted to know if anyone else has seen this on their WR before?  I bought an 06 WR450 about a year ago and was changing the oil and filter.  When I removed one of the bolts on the oil filter cap (the longest of the three) I found coolant on it.  It has me quite concerned as I haven't seen this before with prior changes and just doesn't seem right.

By chance has anyone seen something similar.  I know the 05 motor was very similar too.

Thanks for all of the help!!

Coolant, or water?  Which of the three bolts, specifically?

It's coolant...a nice florescent color.

This bolt is the longest of the three bolts and would be the the one closest to the front tire or the bolt furthest to the right when looking directory at the oil filter cap.

Thanks grayracer.

It's coolant...a nice florescent color.

This bolt is the longest of the three bolts and would be the the one closest to the front tire or the bolt furthest to the right when looking directory at the oil filter cap.

Thanks grayracer.

It sounds like you loosened the coolant drain bolt on the water pump cover.

I highlighted the cover for the Oil filter.  There are 3 bolts and I believe it was the top one that is the long one and none should have any coolant coming out of it unless maybe your case or cover cracked.

Picture is from my YZ manual, but it's the same as my 12 WR and pretty sure it's the same as yours.

Waterpump.GIF

Edited by mch

Thanks mch!

I was looking at it again and like you said the top bolt on the oil filter cap is the one that had coolant on it.

I'll investigate further but as much as I don't want to believe it something has to be cracked.

Edited by gecrum

Note that the coolant feed passage to the pump (arrow) is adjacent to that particular bolt.  It's possible you have a crack from overtorquing the filter cover that runs into that passage.  It could also be a leak along the gasket, although this seems somewhat unlikely absent signs of coolant in the engine oil.

post-302169-0-61656800-1434658174.gif