Thumper Alley pipes.......Pros and Cons??

A friend and I were talking about getting TA pipes. Well he just got his and it looks great. However, the craftmanship is not up to par with the big name guys but I can care less as long as it works as good or better than the big boys.

Talked to the salesman on the phone and he was real nice. Pipe came with a 168 main jet as well.

Questions are:

Are they worth the $250?

For those of you that have them: Do you like them??

Pros and Cons??

Thanks guys!!!

Also,

How loud are they?

Weezer,

I got my Thunder Alley pipe a few weeks ago. I think that the build quality is pretty good, the only thing that I'm not thrilled about is having to coat the megaphone section with WD-40, or something else that will provent rust.

The pipe is louder than stock but it is quieter than the White Brothers E-series (with all the disks out).

The power seems better also. More off the bottom than stock, but with the same or a little better mid and top.

I sold my stock and my White Brothers, so it didn't end up costing me anything. If I had to dish out another $250 for the pipe, I'm not sure tha I would.

John

I SEEN THE THUNDER ALLEY PIPE GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH THE BIG BOYS PIPES AND IT WON HANDS DOWN THERE ARE TWO PIPES AT SUPERCROSS WRIGHT NOW.

Weezer,

I got my TA pipe for X-Mas. I mounted it a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to ride with it yet - it winter here. I did manage to do a few test runs - I was impressed right away. It seems much gruntier. This is with stock jetting, as I haven't had a chance to mess with the jetting either. Rejetting will probably add some more grunt. Yes, it is louder. Do I need the extra grunt - probably not.

As for the craftmanship, yeah it's not as clean as the big boys. But keep in mind, these pipes are totally hand made. That makes the craftmanship impressive. Look at those welds - if you ask me, a welder like that is an artist. My only complaint is the same as John's - the bare metal will require constant attention to prevent rust - that sucks. I am definitely NOT cazy about that. I am looking into some possible solutions.

I can't really answer if I'd do again. To tell you the truth, I don't know why I replace the exhaust on everything I own. I always say I'm not going to change it. I mean, can we ride these things to it's full potential - NO. Will another exhaust make us faster - NO. But as soon as I've stashed $250 away from the old lady, I order a pipe. I am a weak man :)

Wait - I just remembered - there are a few things I haven't changed the exhaust on. The lawnmower, the leaf blower and the old lady's car. Hmmm!

Later,

Odie

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Odie ]

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Odie ]

If you are on a tight budget and wont spend the money on ceramic coating it...why dont you paint the midsection with grill paint (you know the paint that is on the "ole Weber grill") This stuff is designed to take high temps and is very durable! You can buy it at your local hardware store for $5 a can! This is what I would do (it even works on rims if you want black rims for cheap LOL!) Later,

Garrett

Don't get me wrong, it's a great pipe. It DID make the bike seems "more grunty" and it seems as fast if not a little faster on top. I'm just saying that I wouldn't have spent another $250 after I already bought the White Brothers, even though I think that it's a much better pipe. But since I sold those, it was an easy purchase.

Let me put it this way. If my 426 was stolen and I got another (new) one, and I was going to get a pipe, I would get the Thunder Alley.

John

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: john.hilton@cape.k12.de.u ]

Motoman,

That's exactly what I'm going to do. It wasn't grill paint - it was a paint specifically designed for Hot-Rod motors. It contains ceramincs and it can withstand 1200 degrees. I considered ceramic coating but that would cost $150 - that would make my TA slip-on cost about $400 - the same as a complete Dr.D set up. Hey Motoman - you still running that R4? You haven't broke down yet and bought the TA?

John,

Don't talk about the ride getting stolen Man. That's like breaking a mirror. :)

Later,

Odie

I'll tell this about my Thunder Alley, if ya wanted to take it from me, you had better bring a gun, with a lot of bullets. I had my TA ceramic coated, it looks as good as anything Ive seen anywhere. AS far as quality goes, nothing hand made, one at a time, is going to have the manufactured look you seem to be chasing. Although, mine does(apper massproduced) since the coating. All things being equal(price), a coated TA is far and away better than a stainless WB T-4. I know this because thats what I had prior to the TA pipe. You can get the TA with a Spark Arrestor too. Ive got both. Its a simple switch. Embee coating will do the meg part of your pipe for about $80. They did my entire pipe, from head to end cap for $110. Im going by there tomorrow I think so they can take some pics and post them here. I gave Bob Murray's phone number to Embee, you might be able to buy one already coated.

I'll tell this about my Thunder Alley, if ya wanted to take it from me, you had better bring a gun, with a lot of bullets. I had my TA ceramic coated, it looks as good as anything Ive seen anywhere. AS far as quality goes, nothing hand made, one at a time, is going to have the manufactured look you seem to be chasing. Although, mine does(appear mass-produced) since the coating. All things being equal(price), a coated TA is far and away better than a stainless WB T-4. I know this because thats what I had prior to the TA pipe. You can get the TA with a Spark Arrestor too. Ive got both. Its a simple switch. Embee coating will do the meg part of your pipe for about $80. They did my entire pipe, from head to end cap for $110. Im going by there tomorrow I think so they can take some pics and post them here. I gave Bob Murray's phone number to Embee, you might be able to buy one already coated.

I'd like to see some pics when you get them.

Thanks everyone!!!

Shawn,I just put on my TA Embee finished it yesterday,mine feels like it has more power when you twist the throttle.It looks KILLER? :D:)

The TA pipe ROCKS. I have ridden bikes with the WB pipe, the stock pipe, the stock pipe that is shortened 2 inches and the TA pipe beats them all.