wr426 just dies

hello i have a 2002 wr426 and it just started dying today. i was riding up in the mountians and it just started dying, it died once right when i tried to put in in gear, it has done this a few other times, then later in the day it would not even idle, it will run if i am giving it gas or i have it chocked but once i stop giving it gas it just dies like i press the kill switch. any suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks so much for all the help you guys give me

Big changes in elevation require changes in jetting.  Do you typically ride in the mountains or were you in a new area?  You need to lean it out if you go up in elevation due to less oxygen available.

i kicked the bike to life today and the engines pitch was lower than usual, i unchocked it and it idled fine, but still lower, after it warmed up a bit i put it in gear it died

i do not know when the head was last rebuilt

so i cleaned the carb yesterday and fired the bike up and it started after some persuasion, about 10 kicks, and it idled until it warmed up then died, and once the bike was all warmed up i could not get it to start, i dont think that it is the spark plug because i can get it to start, but only when the bike is cold, any suggestions?

so i have now cleaned the carb, gas was getting to the carb because it was full of gas and i have changed the spark plug, still the bike will not start, there is spark, i checked when i changed the plug and the engine will fire once or twice when i kick the bike, but it will not start, any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i took the bike in to a professional and he fixed it, i guess i didn't clean the carb correctly  ?  so today after i get the bike back im riding it and it died again when i stop using the throttle, and it is hard starting, the strange thing is that it was running great for a few hours after the professional fixed it, any suggestions?  

ok so i took the bike in to a professional and he fixed it, i guess i didn't clean the carb correctly  ?  so today after i get the bike back im riding it and it died again when i stop using the throttle, and it is hard starting, the strange thing is that it was running great for a few hours after the professional fixed it, any suggestions?  

Really?

• 1 month later...

hello! my wr426 still refuses to idle, the only way to make it idle is to turn the idle screw up a little too high and this makes it overheat faster, when i got the carb cleaned the guy that did it said that one of the jets ( i dont remember which one) was smaller than the stock jet, he said that this was not much of a problem, but im not convinced, could this be what is keeping the bike from idling? also the bike idles fine when i go to a higher altitude. thanks for all of your replies krannie i really appreciate it!

thanks! another thing that started happening yesterday is that gas is constantly dripping from one of the many hoses coming out of the carb, it just started doing this yesterday, the only thing that i have done differently is i went dirt biking up in the mountains two days ago, is the float in the carb dirty? i just had it cleaned

thanks! another thing that started happening yesterday is that gas is constantly dripping from one of the many hoses coming out of the carb, it just started doing this yesterday, the only thing that i have done differently is i went dirt biking up in the mountains two days ago, is the float in the carb dirty? i just had it cleaned

Whoever is working on your bike is an idiot.