HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LAYZ71

Longetivity of 2010 yz450 supermoto

9 posts in this topic

Recently found a 2010 yz450 supermoto for sale nearby. Was curious how long these tend to last as a supermoto? How reliable they are and if an hour trip on one would be too much for it. Mainly want to play on back roads but would like to be able to commute to work on nice days.

Should be fine, but it depends a lot on gearing, both internal and external.  I take two hour trips on my YZ450 all the time.  About 75-100 miles. They're called desert races.  I have over 300 hours on the bike currently.

1 person likes this

Mainly I'm wondering that if geared properly will it last as long as a drz400 or ktm 690

The WR does pretty well, but beating the 690 could be a good trick, seeing as it's very likely to be geared much higher, what with so much displacement to work with.

If you're not averse to spending some money on it, you can actually put the WR transmission in the YZ450, either the whole thing, or just the top two gears if you like (that's how I did it).  Changes the whole picture.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/954114-wr-4th-5th-on-a-10-yz450f/

See I wouldn't mind spending money and don't care if it'll beat the 690 speed wise just want it to last long like the 690s do

As far as changing gears go I'd rather not but would consider if needed. My buddy's 690 is geared for so much speed it's crazy, and still pulls the front wheel up in 3rd with my 200lb ass on the tank.

See I wouldn't mind spending money and don't care if it'll beat the 690 speed wise just want it to last long like the 690s do

That's what I was talking about, inasmuch as that was the subject of your question.

I gotcha

I'm just gonna kick it around there's another that's not a supermoto nearby I wouldn't mind buying. But I may try to find a WR450 or just bite the bullet and get a 690.

I gotcha

I'm just gonna kick it around there's another that's not a supermoto nearby I wouldn't mind buying. But I may try to find a WR450 or just bite the bullet and get a 690.

The Yamaha 's make great street bikes the WR450 has better gearing and lights stock. They make a much better Supermoto for tight stuff and very likely more reliable than the KTM. If you get a Yamaha just make sure you change the oil often as it only holds a quart.

Edited by stevethe

I've had many yamahas and have no complaints so far. Was going to put an oil cooler on it to help it. But I've heard of the ktms making 15-20k miles on the original topend.

Edited by LAYZ71