Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MESSMAKER

2014 yz450f gold valve

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone put the race tech gold valve in there otherwise stock forks. Looking to make the forks a little more plush for this first part of the stroke without loosing the great bottoming resistance they have.

Gold valves, or any other "high volume" piston, can't just be dropped in without modifying the shim stack in the valve to adjust for it.  The small change in port size changes the way the stack responds.  You can dial out the problem you're describing just with shims, without buying any expensive "trick" parts, and your trouble is more likely to be in the mid valve than the base, anyway.

I agree with Grayracer. Save your money and have it done correctly, preferably by a local tuner that knows your riding areas and is familiar with your specific bike.

Gold valves, or any other "high volume" piston, can't just be dropped in without modifying the shim stack in the valve to adjust for it.  The small change in port size changes the way the stack responds.  You can dial out the problem you're describing just with shims, without buying any expensive "trick" parts, and your trouble is more likely to be in the mid valve than the base, anyway.

Im under the impression that they come with a new shim stack as well and info on different ways to set them up as per you weight riding ability ect. So some of the shim stack questions may get answered. Im hoping someone has one in these specific forks to let me know what the improvements were, if any. I appreciate all these advice you can give on proper shim set up to smooth out the initial part of the stroke.