Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YamBam13

Most reliable year of the yz450f?

17 posts in this topic

like the title says...

I'm looking to pick up a used yz450f or crf450r

What year of the yz450f is most reliable? Is it the fuel injected models or the carb models?

I'd like to stay under $3000, and maintenance is not an issue. I do the regular air filter, and oil changes every 1-3 rides. Mostly trail ride. Coming from a yz250 so the valves on a 450 have me stumped.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks guys

like the title says...

What year of the yz450f is most reliable? Is it the fuel injected models or the carb models?

I'd like to stay under $3000, and maintenance is not an issue. I do the regular air filter, and oil changes every 1-3 rides. Mostly trail ride. Coming from a yz250 so the valves on a 450 have me stumped.

Thanks guys

I ve owned 03 05 07 09 yz 450 s and all of them have been bullet proof. I still have the 03 that I bought in 02 had the piss raced out of it for 2 years and it still gets rode and raced some in vintage stuff. I sold the 09 and really wish I would have kept it. The 09 was the last year before they went to efi.  I never had any mechanical issues with any Yam i ve owned just regular maintenance.

I now ride 13 and 15 yz 450s I do like both but not real crazy about the efi. 

like the title says...

Thanks guys

Hum big difference between any year YZ450 and a CRF450. The Yamaha 's don't eat the valves and are usually very reliable.

1 person likes this

I ve owned 03 05 07 09 yz 450 s and all of them have been bullet proof. I still have the 03 that I bought in 02 had the piss raced out of it for 2 years and it still gets rode and raced some in vintage stuff. I sold the 09 and really wish I would have kept it. The 09 was the last year before they went to efi. I never had any mechanical issues with any Yam i ve owned just regular maintenance.

I now ride 13 and 15 yz 450s I do like both but not real crazy about the efi.

What's wrong with the EFI? I would have thought EFI was better... You've definitely convinced me on the yz450f though. I'm looking at an 09 and a 10 mostly. Not sure if the EFI is worth the extra $400-700 though

Hum big difference between any year YZ450 and a CRF450. The Yamaha 's don't eat the valves and are usually very reliable.

I was under the impression all carb 4 strokes ate valves. Man have I been mislead

The Yamahas do not eat valves if maintained properly, i.e., put a clean air filter on it every ride and changed the oil every 8-10 hours. Pretty simple.

Just sold my '08 with 401 hours on it and I NEVER had to adjust the valves. They were still well in spec when I sold it.

In the 401 hours I replaced the piston & rings once (just as maintenance...bike was still running strong) and I replaced the timing chain every 50 hours ($13 part).

I've had an '02 426, '06 450, '08 450, and now a '13 450. I race hare scrambles and the only failure I ever had was during a race where the entire course was silt and I foolishly tried to run wide open for the three-hour race without changing the airfilter. It was my fault. There were probably 15 guys in that race that smoked their motors (all brands of bikes).

You can not buy a more bulletproof bike than a Yamaha.

3 people like this

What's wrong with the EFI? I would have thought EFI was better... You've definitely convinced me on the yz450f though. I'm looking at an 09 and a 10 mostly. Not sure if the EFI is worth the extra $400-700 though

I was under the impression all carb 4 strokes ate valves. Man have I been mislead

Every 450 I ve had was easy to set carb and very easy to hot start 90% of the time they would fire up in one kick not so much with the efi bikes. I race mx and do a few xc and the 09 and down have slightly larger tanks. If your comin off of a 2 stroke you will learn to grunt the 450 around it will make you lazy. With regular maintenance I dont know if you can wear one out before you decide to trade up.

And in general this goes for all Yamaha products. Yamaha is a motor company first. I've had all of their toys since the mid 80s and not one of them has ever let me down. Snowmobiles, boat motors, 4 wheelers, street bikes, 2 strokes, 4 strokes, and now my trusty old problem free 2002 YZ426. They're just the best machines. Maybe not the coolest, maybe not the fastest, but they Just simply work. All the time.

4 people like this

And in general this goes for all Yamaha products. Yamaha is a motor company first. I've had all of their toys since the mid 80s and not one of them has ever let me down. Snowmobiles, boat motors, 4 wheelers, street bikes, 2 strokes, 4 strokes, and now my trusty old problem free 2002 YZ426. They're just the best machines. Maybe not the coolest, maybe not the fastest, but they Just simply work. All the time.

I have owned alot of Yam.s from the early 60 s till now and have never pushed one off the race track or out of the woods. I cant say that about other brands I ve owned esp. hondas.

Simple as that!

There were a couple of "problem" years.  That is not to say there was any year when the bike was overall anything but reliable, but there were a couple of things that happened more frequently in some models than in others.  The '07 and '08 models did have a higher frequency of stator failures, for example.  It was never an epidemic or anything like that, though.  The '03 had a weak kick starter assembly that could occasionally fail.  The '06 (and one of the later years of EFI models) had a shift cam indexing roller that was supposed to be a problem, but neither of mine ever failed.  In all those cases, the replacement parts were an upgrade that prevented the recurrence. 

I've owned two '01's, an '03, and two '06's, each racking up multiple hundreds of hours, and the ones my son rode were ridden HARD.  My '06 has been, I guess, the least totally bullet proof, since I did replace the center intake while I had it apart to change the gear ratios in 4th and 5th at around 300 hours.  Overall, none of them ever quit, and I've had more trouble with my driveway than with any of my Yamahas.

2 people like this

Yea, from what I've seen the CRF450 is the least reliable, Yamaha the most followed by KTM. Besides the CRF's eating valves they have engine seals go bad and pressurize the trans and pump all the fluid out.

Yea, from what I've seen the CRF450 is the least reliable, Yamaha the most followed by KTM. Besides the CRF's eating valves they have engine seals go bad and pressurize the trans and pump all the fluid out.

sounds like you've seen wrong.. Maybe poorly maintained older bikes but the newer ones are damn good. They're all about the same now if you keep up on the Maintenence. That's really the biggest factor in any 4 stroke but the reason I like Honda is because there's only 1 cam for me to take out if I ever need to adjust my valves. So far my '12 crf450 is the best bike I've ever had. I had a yz250f prior to this bike and it was a freakin nightmare. Only started when it was warm and I replaced the cams and pretty much everything in the top end and it still didn't wanna start easy... I think it didn't like me lol. But anyways, the newer 4 strokes are what YOU make them.. Not what people say. Take everyone advice with a grain of salt because all results will differ depending on the rider.

The question was which year YZ450F was the most reliable, not whether any of them were more reliable than your bike, so don't come up here and try to start stuff by derailing the thread.  Your post is off topic.

1 person likes this

The question was which year YZ450F was the most reliable, not whether any of them were more reliable than your bike, so don't come up here and try to start stuff by derailing the thread. Your post is off topic.

well it is a forum and if someone's gonna bash a brand, why not have input from someone that owns one? I'm not stirring up trouble, I'm just curious where they get this misconception

For me, the 2009 YZ450F

Last year before the FI bikes came out.

If maintained right, these bike are bullet proof.

Motors are easy to work on and maintain.

The suspension is still pretty much the same as what Yamaha is running today.

Today they are pricing out at about $3000 or lower.

Aftermarket is full of affordable parts!

2 people like this