HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom14911

2001 Linkage Assembly

7 posts in this topic

A while ago someone had posted step by step instructions for bearing replacement on the linkage. (Complete with photos) I searched but could not find the link. In addition my manual doesn't really discuss this part and, unfortunatly, I don't recall how it was.

My question is this....where the relay arm (anvil) fits into the connecting rod (yoke)there seems to be far too much play from side to side. I had the bearings seated at the Yamaha shop. The only thing that looks like it may be impeding the bolt from tightening completly are the seals? I can't figure this one out, it just doesn't look correct.

BTW the bearings are from pivot works.

Tom

Tom,

As it so happens, I have just removed my old connecting rod bearings not 1n hour ago :) The bolt will tightern up on the sleeves, not the seals. The Relay arm will have a few mm clearance either side. I believe it is designed this way to prevent binding if some of the bearings are worn, and as the swingarm flexes. The connecting rod held in position by the frame bolt and the relay arm by the swing arm mount.This movement allows the relay arm to centre in the connecting rod. Check the parts section of www.yamaha-motor.com for a good breakdown .

Hope this helps.

Hamish

Do you have the capability of e-mailing a photo of yours? For comparison. Or could you measure the distance between the connecting arm and relay? I can actually move the relay inbetween the connecting rod arms. Not much, but it seems like a lot for debris, etc.

Tom maguirre03@comcast.net

Yep there is meant to be end float on these bearings(bout 2/3mm or so)like hamish said it is to help with distortion in the shock as it is being pounded on in the bumps :)

If all goes to plan, I'll get the rest of my gearbox tomorrow, build the engine tomorrow night, fit the new bearings and fit the engine and swingarm on friday....so if you can wait a few days it'll be no problem at all

Hamish