Front rotor. I need schoolin'.

This is the front rotor on my 2012 wr450. Please tell me the purpose of having it separated from the hub.

When I was messing with my bike I noticed, when holding the front brake and rocking the bike, a little play.

When looking closer, it is from these floating rings that hold the rotor to the hub.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1430146524.359455.jpg

when the rotor heats up, it expands.  This allows the rotor to absorb more heat without warping.

That makes sense. Why isn't the rear rotor the same? Not enough heat?

Its called a 'floating' disc

as said above it allows expansion with warping

It also has side to side movement so you get better alignment with the caliper

Its more of a sports bike thing where braking from high speed can turn the discs blue (300°C +) - its a bit OTT on a dirt bike

It's so when you tap the brakes lightly, you think your steering head is loose, and it drives you crazy until you realize they are floating discs.

It's so when you tap the brakes lightly, you think your steering head is loose, and it drives you crazy until you realize they are floating discs.

This is what I thought was happening at first. I thought my bearings were shot or something.

Been there done that....... and +1 on it driving you crazy!