What exactly is the BK mod and why do it??

Ride your bike first. Decide if there is in fact a "bog" down low that you just can't live with or that cannot be removed with proper fuel screw adjustment, pilot jet, etc.

I have NOT done the BK mod. I have plenty of snap down low. A fellow TTer who had done the mod on his 2001 rode my bike recently. He ended up rejetting and removing the BK screw on his bike which resulted in as good or better performance than with the BK mod.

Others have reported no improvement as well, mostly on 2001-2002 bikes.

It seems as if improvements in stock jetting and ignition maps from Yamaha are eliminating the need for the mod on the '01 and newer bikes.

Anyway, you can do the mod and see for yourself if it helps. It is easy enough tu "undo" it.

Regards,

Steve T

Yo Weezer:

I just came in form the garage where I finished doing the BK mod to my 01-426. (Yes, my bike had a bog on the bottom end.) ? I used the information form the web sight that 668MXer told you to check into. It was one of the easiest mods that I've ever done. I can't wait until I can throw a leg over my "Blue Beast" again and BLIP the throttle to check out the responce form the bottom. :D:D

Originally posted by motoman393:

I didnt have the bog either before the BK mod, but for $5 it is worth a try! My bike runs much better and 5th gear wheelies are easy LOL! I richened up the needle and main (left the pilot at 42) Later,

Garrett

I did the mod as well, easy to do, but having a hard time curing ALL the bog...it seems snappier on the stand, but riding tomorrow will be the ultimate test. I had to richen the pilot to a #48 which is way fatter than the stock #42, but stock jetting was WORSE after the mod, I have a 168 main in at present, and I think I will be ok there, but I have *almost* all of the bog out after adjusting the pilot screw. Would richening the needle help any?

Still has enough bog off of idle to make life irritating...if it pulls better I might not worry about it, but unless there is a noticeable on track gain, I will remove the BK mod in a hurry....

Any ideas? BTW, I am in same area as motoman393 (south texas).